Engine runs like crap at first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this is an intended feature or not, but when I first start my 1994 Grand Marquis AND it's cold, the engine will run very bad under load. It will idle fine, but as soon as I try to accelerate, the car will almost refuse to accelerate. acceleration is slow and the engine simply refuses to rev up. Once it warms up, it will accelerate just fine. Is this normal?

Sounds like you have a bad or dirty IAC.

Comment

It turns out that this happened because I was just working on my airbags and I had my battery disconnected for 20 or so minutes. The PCM had lost it's memory and did not function correctly until it learned. The car works fine now!

Comment

Gotta love it when things suddenly fix themselves!

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

+1 love the simple fixes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Uh oh, that wasn't the problem. The problem has returned. If the engine is just started and it's 100% cold, giving it throttle ends up with the car "chugging" and acting up. Is the IAC cleanable on these cars?

Comment

Bump. I can't figure this thing out! I've checked everything I can. Even the oxygen sensors, and everything turns up good.

Comment

yes, it can be cleaned.

Try cleaning the MAF too.

How old are the plugs and wires? These motors want them in decent condition. Water down in the plug wells will make these run really stupid too. If you live somewhere that it might be condensing water until it gets hot enough to burn out, make sure the wires are in good shape and you have dielectric grease on them.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

IAC & MAF cleaned now. It still does it. The wires and plugs were changed out last year, but with very cheap plugs and very cheap wires. I have a feeling this has something to do with it..the wires and plugs look great, and no water buildup is possible (it's garage kept and in a relatively controlled environment).

Would cheap plugs and wires do this? It doesn't seem like they would considering that it runs fine after a small period of time.

Comment

Might be worth pulling one of the wires off to see if there is anything that looks wrong. Dunno. I don't know the 4.6 intimately, but I have been told by people that do that they like boring old Motorcraft parts, but not really cheapo stuff. If this burns oil like most of them do, it could be the plugs are fouled up and it takes a while to burn off.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No burning oil here. Burns almost as clean as it did the day I got it (minus the blown out catalytic converter), never a drop of oil lost. I pulled all of the wires off this morning and they look fine, as for the plugs I don't exactly have a deep well socket big enough to get to them right now.

Comment

You've got the grease in the ends of the wires yeah?

What shape is the rubber elbow over there near the PCV valve? I seem to remember something about a vacuum elbow over there that falls apart and causes problems.

The crinkly air pipe between the throttle body and the MAF doesn't have any cracks does it? Not exactly sure what issues that might cause, but I know mass air engines don't like unmetered airflow.

Comment

Considering that the first post was in November 2013 and that it's now August 2014, was there any qualitative difference between cold weather and warm weather? I know when mine is really cold in the winter, it does not even like being given gas in park until it's warmed up a bit.

I'm thinking EGR valve based on my limited experience and the reference to a blown out cat. AFAIK, when you put a vacuum on the EGR valve to open it while the engine is idling, the engine should bog down. Could it be that the EGR valve is stuck open just enough to cause problems when the engine's cold?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                            Considering that the first post was in November 2013 and that it's now August 2014, was there any qualitative difference between cold weather and warm weather? ...
                            I just noticed that November 2013 was the OP's Join Date. Late night last night.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

We just got hit with a cold spell in the past few days (50's instead of 80's), and the cold has made my problem much much worse. It idles fine, and moves fine at idle, but when I got out of my driveway and give it any gas, chug chug chug, no movement, no response to the gas pedal, almost stalling. It also seems like now even when the engine is warmed up, I'm having a hard time staying up to speed (my usual amount of pressure on the gas pedal is not maintaining my speed). I have a feeling this may also have something to do with what I did the other day (removed the airbox from the intake and reassembled, maybe incorrectly).

Comment

Working...
                              X