82' Box Merc meets Volvo lower valence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82' Box Merc meets Volvo lower valence

wrap your heads around this one fellas. as you all know from my RR write up, the original owners to my Merc drilled holes through my 9/10 chrome bumper and proceeded to put a tow bar on it. ive since removed those mounts and to cover them i slapped on some KC Highlites with an HID bulb swap. cant tell you how sick i am of seeing those things cover up my chrome. so im taking a shot here and mounting them below the bumper with custom brackets. ive recently been in search of a lower valence to custom fit it on a box and use for fogs. just so happens a good friend of mine had his old lower valence of his 88 Volvo 740. its pretty rough so he just gave it to me and theres alot of fiberglass to be done to make it legit on my box. for one it was too narrow. and 2, the mounting holes dont line up.

anyhow, heres where im at.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20140721_111252[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1302512

Name:	20140721_111304[1].jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1302513

Name:	20140721_111312[1].jpg
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1302514

Name:	20140721_111326[1].jpg
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1302515

question i have is where do i line up the edge of it. right now i have it at the edge of the body where the plastic trim piece is. or do i move it out a bit and line it with the edge of the bumper. im leaning more toward leaving it as pictured.

what do you think gents?
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

+1 body.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

this is what it looks like on the original car. still mounts flush witha body line

Name:	38472880015_large.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1275996
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Wherever it ends up being will look awesome.

Comment

I like it!.....if ya cant find parts from a box(panther)...get parts from a box (Volvo)....lol

Comment

At the risk of sticking my nose where it might not be welcome, I'll offer my $0.02CDN. Based on the head-on view in photo #4, I would say you definitely don't want to go to the edge of the bumper. I think that maybe the valence could go a little more in that direction, so that the edge of the valence lines up with the line between the outer headlight and the signal light, but that would ultimately be a personal aesthetic choice having regard to the practicalities of the situation. I'm definitely against going to the edge of the bumper though.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
              At the risk of sticking my nose where it might not be welcome, I'll offer my $0.02CDN. Based on the head-on view in photo #4, I would say you definitely don't want to go to the edge of the bumper. I think that maybe the valence could go a little more in that direction, so that the edge of the valence lines up with the line between the outer headlight and the signal light, but that would ultimately be a personal aesthetic choice having regard to the practicalities of the situation. I'm definitely against going to the edge of the bumper though.
              agreed. im leaning away from the bumper deal myself as well. with the given situation the only reason its positioned as is, is because the side "lip" if you will, tucks up nicely behind our box's plastic bumper trim. take a close look at pic #2 and youll see what i mean.

Comment

The way the post came up in the main menu, I thought at first you had a collision with a Volvo, with the Merc!!. It pays to click for further info. LOL!!!

Comment

thumbs up for that one bud, hahahaha! made my night

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
                    The way the post came up in the main menu, I thought at first you had a collision with a Volvo, with the Merc!!. It pays to click for further info. LOL!!!
                    That's what I thought as well so I had "Uncle Guido" warming up in the bullpen to break some knee caps!!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Pretty sick man! If it works, work it.

Comment

is that valance narrow enough to actually put two on? Or could you lop off the adjoining ends to fiberglass two of those things into one FrankenValance? Because I'm thinking that would look kickass across the entire front under the bumper, painted to match the car.
                        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                          is that valance narrow enough to actually put two on? Or could you lop off the adjoining ends to fiberglass two of those things into one FrankenValance? Because I'm thinking that would look kickass across the entire front under the bumper, painted to match the car.
                          the way im working it is that i cut it in half because it was too narrow to fit to the body lines like i wanted. so what my plan is, is to put the fogs in the outer most cutout like it was originally on the volvo. then fiberglass the 2 halves together and smooth it out. in this process ill also be making some new mount holes in the valence so i can utilize the original holes where the bumper mounts to its rear support bar. it will also be color matched as you suggested

in the end it should be something like this but color matched

Name:	20140721_111326[1].jpg
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	1276011
                          got them mad photoshop skills bro..

Comment

I am liking this. Currently the only other suggestions has been this:http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Front-air-dam

They make a version of that panel with holes for fog lights as well......

With your volvo piece you can even create a new air intake path coming from down low there.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have one of those GM truck ones with the fog light holes. It fits the 79-87 bumpers pretty damn well.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X