No announcement yet.

82' Box Merc meets Volvo lower valence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking forward to the finished product.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

This is cool. Any chance you could report on mileage or high-speed handling changes when you're done? In theory keeping air out from under these things is one of the best aero mods possible.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
        This is cool. Any chance you could report on mileage or high-speed handling changes when you're done? In theory keeping air out from under these things is one of the best aero mods possible.
        +1 with respect to hearing the results

I actually came across a website recently where someone claimed the stock deflector on later models wasn't particularly significant. I managed to find the site again, and here's the link: http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...2107/130429428

Here's the pertinent quote:
        "TOM: Does it make a big difference in your mileage? No. It’s only a factor at higher speeds. But manufacturers work in fractions of a mile per gallon, knowing that they all add up. So to them, it was worth the small cost. Or maybe it was worth the cost for all the money they’ll make later on replacement air deflectors!"

I would be interested in messing around with mine if there is a significant benefit to be gained.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

i heard about the GM truck ones and was looking to find one at a yard for quite some time now. wasnt till bout 2-3 weeks ago i put 2 and 2 together and realized i had a lower valence i could use. thus what you see here. i knew modifications needed done. and since im gettting more confident in my glassing skills i figured id be able to make whatever i want out of it.

the way the valence fits originally is that it has 2 outer fog light cutouts. and 3 middle cutouts for styling/airflow. the middle most cutout is being glassed solid to hide where i had to cut the thing in half. the other 2 will remain open. it will be body matched in color and my fogs relocated from the bumper to the outermost valence holes.

it will look much lower in the front after im done. after the 1" drop ive already done this will look nice. there is another drop still to come as i feel its still not the right stance. i didnt expect to see much of a mpg difference but you all seem pretty convinced that something however small should happen. im excited to see. thanks for the support glad you all like the concept and ill try to keep you posted as i progress. it will be slow goings though.
          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
            ... ill try to keep you posted as i progress. it will be slow goings though.
            No rush here. Good luck!

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
              I have one of those GM truck ones with the fog light holes. It fits the 79-87 bumpers pretty damn well.
              You sir are too secretive. Please share photos!
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Now that I see that shopped pic... I say to heck with lining it up with the body... just test fit it whole and centered on the bumper and see how that looks. If it lines up with the body, bonus... if not, it'll probably still look good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the shopped pic is with it cut and glassed and fit on how i want. just without paint. theoretically that should be the finished product that i posted
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

in that case... YES! do that!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

made progress on it. its not the final by any means. but ive determined the final mounting position. heres how itll be mounted up after a bit of trimming.

the 2 halves have been paired back up and are coming together nice. foamed it in and got the rough idea. trimmed it back and now im filling in low spots. might be looking at getting the fiberglass layed on today. so far its coming together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131542.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	1276173Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131552.jpg
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1276174Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131601.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1276175Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131610.jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1276176Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131624.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1276177Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131637.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1276178Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131713.jpg
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1276179

Comment

I like how it's coming along! Should look really good when it's done.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

are you planning to keep the fill in the middle or shape a nice vent hole in that spot as well?

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                            made progress on it. ...
                            Nice job so far. I can see why you're sick of the lights covering the chrome. I'm looking forward to seeing the lights in their proper place.

Comment

just ran across a post that reminded me of this thread, thought id update it. a while back i got some more progress done, little more solidly mounted, reworked my fog light bracketry, and also added in my LED fogs. overall it fits quite well. needs some more finess. im really happy with it and love how it looks on the car. in the end it will get a coat of gloss black when the car is painted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29793591_1932942046777590_957807591390445568_n.jpg
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1285374

Comment

Working...
                              X