Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Suspension Rattling / Feels Loose

'01 Marquis, 120,000miles

I'm talking about over bumps, any sort of bouncing, it feels like the entire suspensions is just bouncing around, about to loose something at any moment. You hear it, but you can also feel it. Nothing else to really explain.
    It all started after a trip north, and if anybody has ever experienced or even seen pictures of Michigan roads, you know exactly what I'm talking about... suspension torture.

I replaced the Sway Bar Links before this began to stop some clunking noise, so that can't be it, they're brand new.
    About to replace all 4 Tie Rods, and both Adjusting Sleeves, cause they're too rusty to do any sort of alignment, but I'm pretty sure that's not the cause.
    The ball joints seem fines, they're only 2/3 years old anyways.

The only logical explanation would be some Control Arm Bushings, but I need some opinions before I dish any money out, help would be appreciated.

control arm bushings are quite likely. Shocks could be blown at that mileage too. If they're rusty enough that they could be original, or are leaking, replace them.

I see a lot of panthers and similar design front ends come in with multiple problems. Heck, it's not unusual at that mileage for literally everything to have unacceptable play, from steering gear all the way on out.

I'd also re-check the balljoints and anything else you may have replaced. It may be new, but it's getting harder and harder to avoid cheap chinese crap. Early failure does happen, and a defective ball joint is expensive when it goes pop on the road.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Considering the age and mileage of your car, and the fact that you've already replaced ball joints, I'm figuring bushings at the least. I'm still recovering from doing all that sort of thing within the past couple of months. Here's some links where I've discussed my experiences:

There's a nice write-up about body mount bushing problems here:

For good measure, here's a link with respect to checking your Pitman arm and idler arm while you're at it:

Everything to do with interior and body electrical including headlights and tail lights. CFI specific discussions and AC/heating systems.

I know this is like being assigned lots of homework, especially when only a part of a particular thread might be pertinent, but I'm lazy

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Did you check the shocks, are they attached at both ends, are the top bushings OK? Just thinking out loud.

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I don't know how far into it you might be willing to go before considering junking the car, but you might want to give some thought to the ass end too. Here's another link:

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Forgot to add: the shocks are new, I had some issues with them bouncing around, but I threw in a few nuts and washers to make sure they held in place, but that was a couple months ago.

Comment

The Ford method with regards to ball joint replacement is to do the whole arm. Logic being that if the ball joints are done, the bushings are too. I'd be looking at the bushings, and the upper and lower ball joints again. Ball joints should be OK, but its worth confirming there are no problems. Also look at the idler arm and pitman arm. They're probably worn out by this point.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X