Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the hell is this fuel pump so loud!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the hell is this fuel pump so loud!?

Turn the key.
    'BZZZZT."
    Start the car.
    "EEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHH-GZHTGHZT-EEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-GZHT-EEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

That GZHTGHZT is a weird noise that sounds like an electric spark. (Got it looked at while in quite a panic right after I started hearing it and it checked out perfectly fine, so I dunno what it is.)

It's been doing this EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHH ever since I replaced it and it is BY FAR the loudest noise it makes. AND IT'S JUST BEEN GETTING LOUDER.

It works great, but SWEET MOTHER OF ZEUS is it annoying.

How the hell can I make this thing SHUT UP???
    Last edited by ootdega; 07-23-2014, 07:25 PM.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

The OEM pump in my '87 GM was completely silent. When I had to replace it, I was stuck getting a Carter and it "hums" but doesn't make any other objectionable sounds. What make is it and how old is it? Some pumps are noisier than others but it could also be failing. Can you post a video so we can hear it??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
      The OEM pump in my '87 GM was completely silent. When I had to replace it, I was stuck getting a Carter and it "hums" but doesn't make any other objectionable sounds. What make is it and how old is it? Some pumps are noisier than others but it could also be failing. Can you post a video so we can hear it??
      I got it brand new from O'Reilly's. Came in a white box, so I dunno the brand.

It works fine, certainly better than the old one. It's just...

I don't have a video camera, but I'll see if I can rent one or something.

My old one was completely silent as well and HOLY HELL DO I MISS IT RIGHT NOW.
      Last edited by ootdega; 07-23-2014, 10:05 PM.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

some of them are loud... if they are strapped in without the rubber sleave, they are even louder.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Some of those aftermarket pumps are loud as hell. If you just can't put up with that get an original Motorcraft pump on Rockauto.

Comment

The fuel pump in my 85 is loud as hell. I mean, it is loud.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Mine is super loud too, but I don't mind. I let the buzzing stop before I actually crank over the car..don't ask why, I even did that with my Sport Trac

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
              1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Originally posted by 89TownCar View Post
                Mine is super loud too, but I don't mind. I let the buzzing stop before I actually crank over the car..don't ask why, I even did that with my Sport Trac
                I do that too. It only needs to crank twice to start that way.

Originally posted by sly View Post
                some of them are loud... if they are strapped in without the rubber sleave, they are even louder.
                It's in the sleeve and has a new O-ring, and I also had all of the rubber around the gas tank replaced to try and deal with the noise. Didn't help much. I can literally hear it over the engine inside the cab with all four windows rolled up while on the highway.

I don't see any Motorcrafts in Rockauto. They have a few Auto-Tunes left for 16 bucks, I can try that next week. Worth a shot for the price I suppose. I'd get now if I had enough to cover shipping. I'll just have to cross my fingers.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

wow... that's loud. I can barely hear mine hum when I first turn the key on before I start the engine. I've heard of loud ones before, but never actually heard them. at least you know without a doubt that it's working. I'd just turn up the radio.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Mine is original and you can distinctly hear it. I'd rather have a loud electrical pump than a mechanical one on my '67 that never seemed to deliver enough fuel...
                    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                      Mine is original and you can distinctly hear it. I'd rather have a loud electrical pump than a mechanical one on my '67 that never seemed to deliver enough fuel...
                      Well the thing is I want this thing to be quiet enough to sneak up on people, like it was before.

And after getting back from the store, I notice the spark-sounding noises often coincide with sputters in the engine of varying intensity. It's also surged a few times pulling out of the parking lot over the past month or so.

I'm probably going to have to tighten the belt and get a high-end pump that won't do all these things.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Thinking back, the pump may be fried to begin with. It was installed by a friend of my mom's after I couldn't get it to work myself, and they told me it's because I had it wired backwards. I didn't know that was possible, since one was bigger than the other. So that might have killed it. Unfortunately I have a bad habit of throwing away receipts.

I've been reading lots of good things about Carter pumps. Anyone have experience with them? They're a little pricier, but as long as they do what I want them to, I couldn't really care less at this point.
                        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

See my earlier post...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                            See my earlier post...
                            Oh. Duh. I didn't see that.

I'll still try to get a recording of the noise just to show how hilariously obnoxious it is.
                            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
                              Oh. Duh. I didn't see that.

I'll still try to get a recording of the noise just to show how hilariously obnoxious it is.
                              Might help. If you can afford it, I'd get an OEM pump, if you wind up needing one.

Comment

Working...
                              X