No announcement yet.

Brake Fluid Quality and Changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the folks on MM.net had posted up about "speed bleeders" which are bleeder valves with check valves in them.

These reportedly work with marauders which share calipers with CV GM & TC.

Russell 639630 bleeders. These are not the part that the Russell website specs for that application.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

That's an interesting option. I guess it's one of those things that the car companies can't be bothered to install themselves. I'll probably stick with my vacuum cleaner approach if it works well enough. I have the JB Weld curing now.

It looks like I'll probably be getting my money back on the eBay order. I just noticed in my eBay account that the seller is no longer registered and the listing has been removed. The order still shows up with a typical useless Chinese tracking number, but I'm not hopeful that I will see the item. At least eBay has buyer protection.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Just did proof of concept for my vacuum cleaner approach with some water. Wow.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I finally got the brake fluid to the point where it's good enough for me. The vacuum cleaner approach speeded things up, but the speed bleeders would probably be a lot faster. I think I'll put those on my wish list.

I was able to get the bleeders open enough to let fluid out but not enough to suck air through the threads. With the vacuum cleaner, I was able to get a 'flow' from the fronts, but the best I got from the rears was a faster drip. When the rears were left to drip without the vacuum, the fresher fluid seemed to drip faster than the bad fluid for whatever reason.

Since the bad fluid was within the realm of tan/yellow after lots of ABS use since the last flush, I went with a full quart rather than piss around with half-quarts again. I'm figuring I'll give it a year and then do another quart, and then go with a two-year schedule after that.

I'm pretty sure the fluid never would have gotten to this point using only the suck-and-fill approach. Thanks for all the contributions.

Comment

Working...
          X