No announcement yet.

Brake Fluid Quality and Changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

algae growing in wet fluid would make sense. Amazing some of the shit that will grow in. Ever see a diesel or heating oil tank that had algae growth? Its full of black slime that will plug your filters. Quite gross.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’m starting to buy into the algae explanation. The jar on the right in the photo in post #11 above seemed fine enough, considering that whatever was in the ABS unit would’ve contaminated the fresh fluid. But, here’s a photo after doing a second suck-and-fill using the same jar:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0597.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1278432

And here’s the same jar after a third suck before another full change:

Name:	DSCI0604.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1278433

I was able to get a constant dripping this time around. I think the problem last time was having the end of the hose in the fluid in the collection jar, causing an air lock.

Instead of trying to eyeball the color when doing the recent full change, I decided to mark the collection jar and go by volume. On the third line, I realized I could do both by putting white cardboard behind the jar to clarify the color. A big drawback was that the tip of the hose has been dyed green, but I could still see the change. Here’s a photo of the collection jar beside the other jar:

Name:	DSCI0605.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1278434

I used a little over half a quart. I’m going to do another change soon to use up the other half and see what happens.

Incidentally, I didn’t bother with any pumping of the brakes this time around. It didn’t seem necessary.

On a side note, I had about 50mL of brake fluid leftover from the last suck and fill, and the container happened to get cracked, so I decided to leave it outside as an experiment to see how long it would take for the color to change. Unfortunately, the container ended up empty after being knocked over twice, though I hadn’t noticed any change after several weeks.
      Last edited by IPreferDIY; 11-07-2015, 11:43 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

You also aren't controlling the "how long until the brake fluid turns green from moisture" experiment properly unless it's in a metal container the same material as the brake lines. Just sayin'.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Having one plastic container and one metal container would be even better, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to try. Too lazy.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I had planned on doing another brake fluid flush long ago, but that didn't happen. I finally did it last Friday (with year old fluid; yeah, I know), and it was still pretty bad (so even the year old stuff has to be better). I couldn't get a good indoor picture of the fluid tonight, but it was pretty much like in the jar on the right in post #11 above. There's no black or brown quality, but it's still quite green. I guess it will take quite a few flushes before it gets acceptably clear, and I'm planning on doing a couple more in the spring.

There might actually be a chance that the brakes are feeling a bit better, but I’ve only driven it once since that last flush.

The moral of the story is “Don’t neglect your brake fluid.”

Comment

Did another flush with fresh fluid while swapping out a leaky tire, touching up the oil spray, and changing the oil last Friday while it was a little above freezing. The jar with the black marks is from the latest flush while the other jar is from the prior flush. Using the light seemed the best way to get a good comparison. By the time I did the other photo without the light, condensation was forming on the jars since they'd been sitting outside. I'm figuring on doing three more flushes in the coming months before calling it good.

Name:	DSCI0712.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1281092Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0718.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1281093
              Last edited by IPreferDIY; 12-25-2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Well, the frequency of the flushes hasn't been going as planned, but I have done a few, apparently in May and November 2017, and another just last week. Here's the latest photo:

Name:	DSCI0926.jpg
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	1284279

The jars have been sitting on my porch, and I've lost track of what's what. I'm pretty sure the two on the right are the ones from the December 2016 photos. The two middle ones might have gotten flipped, though I was under the impression that the darker one did indeed come after the lighter one. I do know that the lighter one had initially been green, but after sitting a couple of months, it lightened up. I guess it had enough fresh fluid to have an effect over time. I've been relying on the ABS self-test 'grunt' to circulate the fluid through the ABS unit, so I'm wondering if maybe the darker one was the result of the ABS actually having been used.

The second from the left is from three lines during the latest flush, and the one on the left is the fourth line with lots of fresh fluid for the sake of finishing the bottle. What I started doing was dumping the fluid collected from a particular line into a second jar so that I know what I'm getting out of each line.

FWIW, the gravity bleed goes a lot better on the rears with the calipers removed (I was doing parking brakes) and just allowing it to drip from the bleeder without a hose. That brought the speed up to what I get from the fronts with a hose on the bleeder.
                Last edited by IPreferDIY; 07-12-2018, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Has anyone tried one of these kits?:

Name:	BrakeBleeder.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1285465
                  (click to enlarge)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hand-Held-Va...MAAOSwQqZcDgOP

I'm guessing the "free shipping" part is a mistake, but it would be a great deal if a good one arrived even after waiting the roughly two months it would probably take to get here from China. It looks like the most frequent complaint in reviews is loss of vacuum, but that's probably something some zip ties could take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                    Has anyone tried one of these kits?:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52139[/ATTACH]
                    (click to enlarge)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hand-Held-Va...MAAOSwQqZcDgOP

I'm guessing the "free shipping" part is a mistake, but it would be a great deal if a good one arrived even after waiting the roughly two months it would probably take to get here from China. It looks like the most frequent complaint in reviews is loss of vacuum, but that's probably something some zip ties could take care of.
                    I bought and used an identical one from Walmart. Decent hand held vacuum pump. Didn’t do the trick for brake bleeding on a 2005 E350. I suspect the volume of the vacuum was to blame. It would pull a vacuum but just instantly lose it once the bleeder was opened and didn’t pull much after that with additional pumping. Hands got tired so I stopped. Gravity worked well though but was slow. Still a good hand held vacuum source for other uses.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I had some luck finding what seems to be the same model being used on YouTube. I'm not sure that holding a vacuum before cracking open the bleeder is all that necessary. If the pump is working right, it shouldn't be pushing out air before sucking it in. Here's a video showing someone who is apparently applying the vacuum only after the bleeder is cracked (at around 7:30 and 10:20; I myself would advise against using an adjustable wrench on the bleeders):

If I can get that much fluid out with the pump, that would be good enough for me. I would still allow some gravity bleed just to be sure no air got in, but speeding up the process would be great.

FWIW, here's a fellow who uses grease on the threads to reduce the amount of air getting sucked in through them (at around 5:10):

That would be too messy for me to bother doing.
                      Last edited by IPreferDIY; 06-12-2019, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Yes, you want a vacuum on it before cracking the bleeder so that no air is introduced at that moment. It's a just in case maneuver.

+1 no adjustable wrench. Use a box end.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

long offset box wrench seems to work well, ideally a 6 point one so it won't round off the bleeder.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I use a 6-point socket for the initial cracking and final tightening. In that context, my basic wrench is good enough for the open/close part.

Comment

From the WAYWO thread:

Originally posted by gadget73
                              Vac pumps are also useful if you want to re-lube a porous bronze bushing. After cooking out the old oil, drop it in a jar of oil and pull vacuum until the air comes out of the bushing. Oil will take the place when vacuum is released. Small glass jars make good vacuum chambers. The metal lids can be drilled and a fitting epoxied in without any fuss.
                              I just thought of a way to do the brake bleeding in a way that always ensures air does not get pushed into the caliper. My usual jar has a single hose going through the lid, but I'm going to make up a lid with two hoses epoxied in. One would go to the bleeder as usual while the other could be held in the end of a vacuum cleaner hose if/when desired. I would just use my hand to control the amount of vacuum. By doing it that way, I wouldn't have to contaminate the stuff in the kit if I don't want to. Besides, it will probably take two months to get here, and I'm hoping to do a wheel swap soon.

Comment

That's sort of how my bleeder kit came (now has been designated to just being a vacuum pump after being beat to crap). The hose went from the bleeder to the "output container" and then there was another hose attachment opposite to the input that you ran a hose to the vacuum pump. (unless I read that wrong... It's stupid late at night right now)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X