No announcement yet.

Yup, that's a lifter tick. Or two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a good oil flush (not sure which chemical is the best - maybe Seafoam) and then a slightly heavier oil might work? Better than ripping out lifters if not totally required.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
      Maybe a good oil flush (not sure which chemical is the best - maybe Seafoam) and then a slightly heavier oil might work? Better than ripping out lifters if not totally required.
      Well apparently it's never totally required. But I'll do anything that'll help.

I would feel like a terrible person if I ever let it sound like sly's.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Unless you really KNOW there is a lifter issue it's worth a shot. I always go for the easiest and cheapest solutions first. If you do use a flush just make sure it is totally flushed out before new oil. May take a few oil changes to make sure.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Just turn the radio louder and drive it.... it will run forever like that.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
            Just turn the radio louder and drive it.... it will run forever like that.
            Can't do it. Couldn't live with myself.

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            Unless you really KNOW there is a lifter issue it's worth a shot. I always go for the easiest and cheapest solutions first. If you do use a flush just make sure it is totally flushed out before new oil. May take a few oil changes to make sure.
            Sounds like a good idea. It could probably use an engine flush for more reasons than that anyway.
            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

10-30 is plenty heavy. Particularly on cold startup. Remember the higher the cold number the more startup wear there will be.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                10-30 is plenty heavy. Particularly on cold startup. Remember the higher the cold number the more startup wear there will be.
                I haven't put anything in it since the tune-up because the oil levels have been fine ever since, so that might not be what's in there right now. But that's what I was told to use, so that's what I put in it after I got it.

Funny story: It was so dry it wouldn't even start when I put it in there, because I was an idiot and forgot to check it because I had no idea what I was doing at the time.
                Last edited by ootdega; 07-26-2014, 07:19 PM.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Sounds the same as my 88 Town Car. I've had it for 8 years now and the sounds have gotten worse but still quiets down once the engine is warmed up and keeps running without fail.
                  I'm all for getting out in front of stuff when it comes up, but I really wouldn't lose any sleep over this one.
                  Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                  Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
                    Well apparently it's never totally required. But I'll do anything that'll help.

I would feel like a terrible person if I ever let it sound like sly's.
                    Burrrrrrnnnnn lol.

Out of curiosity (sorry ootdega, your posts always seem to spin up some thought I've been meaning to ask), what does everyone feel about using trans fluid for a very short time to flush out the oil?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Back in the early 70s I used 1 quart of trans fluid with the oil for a very short time to clean out the motor. I would not do that to any car now.

Comment

they make "engine flush" that doesn't cost much more that has instructions on how to do it. You definitely don't want to run these long with that stuff in the system typically as they can and will clog up an oil filter and oil starvation is a bad thing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've done heard of folks using kerosene in oil briefly too to clean it. Don't think I'd do it in some fancy OHC engine but a pushrod smallblock I'd worry less about.

Pete
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I've done ATF flushes before, just drain the main oil plug and add 3qts ATF, and let idle for 5-10 mins or so. ATF is really thin and has detergents in it, a little ATF on a rag is actually really good for cleaning grimy stuff like dirty rubber tool handles.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Personally I fear doing solvent flushes to a motor. Most of that stuff is mineral spirits and kerosene. If its so shitted up inside with sludge that its causing oil flow problems, just imagine what getting all that to let go at once will do. Pull a valve cover and see what it looks like. If its not sludgey, you probably don't need any high power wash. If it looks like a Jello mold, you've got deeper problems and I wouldn't suggest trying to use a solvent wash anyway.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                Personally I fear doing solvent flushes to a motor. Most of that stuff is mineral spirits and kerosene. If its so shitted up inside with sludge that its causing oil flow problems, just imagine what getting all that to let go at once will do. Pull a valve cover and see what it looks like. If its not sludgey, you probably don't need any high power wash. If it looks like a Jello mold, you've got deeper problems and I wouldn't suggest trying to use a solvent wash anyway.
                                Uh...how do I do that?
                                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                                X