No announcement yet.

Yup, that's a lifter tick. Or two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah 85 octane? Did you go back to 1925 to get gas? Anyhow, lots of things can make noise. Small or large exhaust leaks, bad bearings in the roller lifters(had this happen on one of my mustangs), lifters just not pumping up(getting old and tired, or gummed up), bad balancer, sometimes just injectors can make a ticky noise that'll drive you nuts. As it stands, my '90 has somewhere between 120k and infinity mileage, since that's where the odometer quit, but it runs great and pretty quiet. I do have kind of a shitty sound coming from either the smog pump or a/c compressor. Your experience may vary but if nothing sounds like it's going to imminently self-destruct itself, I kind of address on the low-priority order. Far as flushing and such, running seafoam worked wonders in my '98, so I will hit the '90 with it sooner or later.

Far as oil goes, my previous small-blocks always preferred Valvoline to any other oil, however, when I started taking the '98 to a local dealer who was offering great deals on service, they put motorcraft synthetic blend in it and the car never ran better, or retained oil so well! They put 5-30 in the '98 and now have done the '90 with 10-30. It felt like a different car afterward, of course I did have the trans serviced and flushed too, but the car seriously drives like a dream. Check with your local Ford dealers as many of them offer service specials and will send you a shitload of coupons once you've been there. My better half had been going to this dealer for many years before we met and we occasionally get full service fluid changes for like 20 bucks. You can't buy oil at Wal-Mart for that so it's really hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
      Yeah 85 octane? Did you go back to 1925 to get gas? Anyhow, lots of things can make noise. Small or large exhaust leaks, bad bearings in the roller lifters(had this happen on one of my mustangs), lifters just not pumping up(getting old and tired, or gummed up), bad balancer, sometimes just injectors can make a ticky noise that'll drive you nuts. As it stands, my '90 has somewhere between 120k and infinity mileage, since that's where the odometer quit, but it runs great and pretty quiet. I do have kind of a shitty sound coming from either the smog pump or a/c compressor. Your experience may vary but if nothing sounds like it's going to imminently self-destruct itself, I kind of address on the low-priority order. Far as flushing and such, running seafoam worked wonders in my '98, so I will hit the '90 with it sooner or later.

Far as oil goes, my previous small-blocks always preferred Valvoline to any other oil, however, when I started taking the '98 to a local dealer who was offering great deals on service, they put motorcraft synthetic blend in it and the car never ran better, or retained oil so well! They put 5-30 in the '98 and now have done the '90 with 10-30. It felt like a different car afterward, of course I did have the trans serviced and flushed too, but the car seriously drives like a dream. Check with your local Ford dealers as many of them offer service specials and will send you a shitload of coupons once you've been there. My better half had been going to this dealer for many years before we met and we occasionally get full service fluid changes for like 20 bucks. You can't buy oil at Wal-Mart for that so it's really hard to beat.
      Did you know they sell 85 octane in Colorado and other higher elevation states as a way to help cope with the less dense air in higher elevations?
      I remember seeing it on the pumps when i drove through there a few years ago.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
        bad bearings in the roller lifters(had this happen on one of my mustangs), .

Found this to be the case on my own roller rockers after I pulled them off. The old Crane Cobra parts are just done for, so the Scorpion rockers are going on.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, we have 85 on every pump around here. Twin Falls and Jerome, Idaho. I've never been anywhere else, so I didn't know this was strange.

But after driving it a while, I've gathered some data. It still has the tick when I first start it up, but it doesn't continue after the engine warms up anymore. So it has a lifter tick, but the engine knock is gone. It's also picked up quite a bit of power.

It needs an oil change, and I'm going to do that probably next month. I'm going to use oil flush with some regular 10W30 a few times and then fill it with Castrol synthetic. I'll probably SeaFoam it the same day.

We have a Ford dealership here in Jerome, but when I took this thing to them to get an inspection because the title was so old, they looked like I'd just brought them a time machine. So I dunno.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Put a can of Restore in with your oil change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	10415606_10202942628155183_7196590156113162533_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1277676

I got a lifter tick of sorts. Valve stem hammered flat on the 240 in my 68 F250. All I did was tighten down the rocker to take up some slack and keep STP oil treatment in it to keep the lifters clean.
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

you can do that with stud rockers. Aren't the 240's solid lifters that need a lash adjustment from time to time anyway, or is yours hydraulic ?
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah guess it makes sense that certain places could get away with lower octane gas, but jesus, I think 87 is as low as I'd ever go. My '98 will run on it but not happily, it prefers 89. The '90 doesn't seem to care, although it does get notably better fuel economy with different brands of gas. My first tank was arco and it sucked, but I've been 2 weeks on a tank of 76 so that may be the magic number. Haven't tried shell or chevron in it yet.

Comment

Around here we've got 87, 89, and 92 on all the pumps, except sunoco they have a fourth grade but I don't remember what it is. In my '88 I couldn't tell a difference in how it ran or fuel economy, in both the 4.6's I've owned ('95 Grand Marquis, and my current '01 Town Car) they run fine on any of them but I get noticeably better mileage from the 92. On 87 I get 23-26mpg combined driving, on 92 I was getting 26-29, and on one trip about 35 miles at 60mph I got a whopping 31.6mpg!!!
                    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      you can do that with stud rockers. Aren't the 240's solid lifters that need a lash adjustment from time to time anyway, or is yours hydraulic ?
                      It has hydraulic lifters.
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X