Yup, that's a lifter tick. Or two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, that's a lifter tick. Or two.

I've heard about lifter ticks several times over the last few days and decided to find out what they are. Apparently they sound like a diesel engine. That sounded familiar, so I went and started the car up.

Yup. That's the one. Sounds like at least one, maybe two. Rather new sound as well, started within the last two months. That would coincide with an increase in cold ignition times as well.

This would mean that the engine is, in fact, going out and I should do something about it.

Should I make the engine project a priority now? I was going to do it anyway, but now it seems it's become a need rather than a want.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Replacing lifters isn't a huge deal, you can check for collapsed lifters / bend pushrods/ loose valve hold-downs pretty easily. I'm going to cross that bridge with my 85 the weekend before Scottfest, and putting a new steering gear in it this weekend.
    My lifter tick sounds like two ball-peen hammers smashing together with every RPM... I used to be able to flush it away and it would be quiet for a while, not anymore.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If this makes you feel better, my car has been making that noise for as long as I've owned it. In fact, the previous owner said the same thing too. It sounds a little bit like a diesel engine but goes away when warmed up. While the sound may not necessarily mean good things, it doesn't mean your engine is imminently doomed. Mine has been like that for over 100,000 miles.

How severe is the noise?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

If a lifter tick is sounding like a diesel engine I would say at that point it's more severe than you think. Flat tappet lifters are generally noisy however a collapsed lifter can tear shit up. Theyre not hard to change at all
        1985 LTD Country Squire on Jackstands
        1987 Mark VII xpipe, mac mufflers, 125 shot
        2006 Grand Marquis ls 47k miles

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
          If this makes you feel better, my car has been making that noise for as long as I've owned it. In fact, the previous owner said the same thing too. It sounds a little bit like a diesel engine but goes away when warmed up. While the sound may not necessarily mean good things, it doesn't mean your engine is imminently doomed. Mine has been like that for over 100,000 miles.

How severe is the noise?
          Not all that bad. But it sounds like two of them, and it's been getting worse rather quickly.

And if it's happening to one, then they're all getting worn out, so the engine project moves from "upgrade" category further toward the "repair" category.

Good to know it's not a huge issue. I don't want it to end up damaging the block, though, since I plan on an HO conversion rather than a swap.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

yeah... wait till it sounds like mine... when I crank up, it sounds like ALL are ticking... most never stop. Runs like a top though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              yeah... wait till it sounds like mine... when I crank up, it sounds like ALL are ticking... most never stop. Runs like a top though.
              I couldn't bear to do that to this poor car. I would feel horrible.
              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Are you sure its not an exhaust leak? No chance you have a shitty oil filter or engine oil thats too thin? Its not real common for multiple lifter noises to appear out of the blue in the middle of summer. That speaks to me of other problems. I'd be checking the oil pressure too. If the bottom end is sloppy, you may not get enough oil up top to keep the lifters properly pumped.

For what its worth, my 245k mile engine is absolutely silent. Roller lifters don't wear out like flat lifters do if there is reasonable maintenance involved.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Are you sure its not an exhaust leak? No chance you have a shitty oil filter or engine oil thats too thin? Its not real common for multiple lifter noises to appear out of the blue in the middle of summer. That speaks to me of other problems. I'd be checking the oil pressure too. If the bottom end is sloppy, you may not get enough oil up top to keep the lifters properly pumped.

For what its worth, my 245k mile engine is absolutely silent. Roller lifters don't wear out like flat lifters do if there is reasonable maintenance involved.
                  I got a tune-up last year, so both of those should be fine. It's had 10W30 in it as long as I've had it. Dunno about the oil pressure but that should be fine as well as far as I can tell. And I have no idea what kind of lifters it has.
                  89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Ah, apparently all '89 blocks had roller lifters.

I guess I'll have to get it checked out. It'll have to wait though. If it's not going to be a problem, I'd like to get tires first.
                    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Well there's not really much of a shortage of sbfs around I have 3 complete in my garage I can't seem to get rid of
                      1985 LTD Country Squire on Jackstands
                      1987 Mark VII xpipe, mac mufflers, 125 shot
                      2006 Grand Marquis ls 47k miles

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
                        I got a tune-up last year, so both of those should be fine. It's had 10W30 in it as long as I've had it. Dunno about the oil pressure but that should be fine as well as far as I can tell. And I have no idea what kind of lifters it has.
                        How many miles are on the oil? Does it smell gassy at all or look milky ?
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pull the intake and throw a new set of lifters in
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I'd really want to do more diagnostics before going down that path. They really don't go bad that often. If they are noisy, I'd want to know what made them that way. If it was previous neglect, then there are deeper problems anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              How many miles are on the oil? Does it smell gassy at all or look milky ?
                              Maybe 500, no, and no.
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X