Debating 302 vs 4.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debating 302 vs 4.6

So as the titles says, I am debating between the 302 and 4.6. I am leaning to the 302. But if I am going to do the swap I will want power. That is why I am leaning more towards it. My 4.6 is the bastard block. I know it is not the best candidate because it is missing the jack screws (I believe that is what they are called) on the rear of the engine. My original thought was to put an engine girdle and arp studs, But for what that costs I could find a used 302 from a mustang locally. The girdle itself was 300 and not to mention how to make it work. I want to keep ac because in miami it is to damn hot. So I know the brackets I need, and the ac component. I already have the wiring harness, just might need to modify a little to make sure it works. I will first do the swap and then rebuild the engine, so I don't become overwhelmed with all the minor details. Also I have seen scotts grand marquis, which is why I am leaning even more to the 302.

The transmission I will build it with 4r70w parts, But I don't know which parts it will need exactly. If anyone knows a link, I appreciate it. I have searched and nothing. Now for headers, would there be any longtube headers that would work or shorty headers. Now my goals will be between 300-350hp at the flywheel not to the wheels. Also I will rebuild my rear end, most likely with 4.10, after I do the engine and transmission. If anything breaks, its better when its old than new. For fuel I will use a 255lph pump. For the future I am aiming at a turbo. Also I will put in a manual shift valve body, since I will put a transmission tail shaft mount shifter on it.

This is not a pipe dream. I have posted before but I am right now looking for all the info needed.

I just did the big brake upgrade. Also Currently I am replacing all the fuel lines on my car with PTFE hoses. Supply will be 8 AN and return will be 6 AN. Might be a little big, but just if I ever decide on more power. Also My lines are rusted, so need to change them.

For the engine tuner I might use either moates or tweecer.

Here is current progress of the Merc.

I am currently also doing a paint job on it. Going for a murdered out look. Tinted tail lights, side marker lamps, headlights(still enough to see at night, or black out part of the inside of the lamp), and chrome delete.

How it looked when I was almost done with the Big brake upgrade.

Thank you in advance.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Oh.
    Um.
    As much as I know, you can use the wide ratio gears for it from the 4R70W.
    For everything else, it's going to be wiring.
    I can comment more later when I get on my laptop.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

In the Scott's Auto Service forum there is a whole thread on converting an Aero to a 302 HO, I know they kept AC..... I think the title has something like "we're nuts" in the title.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

link: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-yea-were-nuts!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What about getting the 4r70w to bolt to a small block?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
            What about getting the 4r70w to bolt to a small block?
            If you got a newer 302 out of Explorer you can bolt up a 4r70w to it.

Comment

I'd rather just build a PI 4.6, seeing you'll go through alot of hastle just with the wiring. I'd get a PI 4.6 out of a junkyard, get some H beam rods, some beefier cams and then if you're not satisfied there. Run boost. The engines can take alot of abuse and mod motors like boost.

But on the other hand, if you are going to run boost through the 302, I'm interested on how that'll turn out. Since someday maybe I'd like my 351 to be boosted, but tis' all a dream.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Having done both, I wouldn't do either. If you want a 302, buy a car with one in it. If you want a PI, buy a car with one in it. The wiring is a pain in the ass, but its a lot easier to go to a 302 than to a PI motor. I did most of the wiring on the 92 Grand Marq to put a 302 in it, same with Sly's 93 Vic when the PI motor went in.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Having done both, I wouldn't do either. If you want a 302, buy a car with one in it. If you want a PI, buy a car with one in it. The wiring is a pain in the ass, but its a lot easier to go to a 302 than to a PI motor. I did most of the wiring on the 92 Grand Marq to put a 302 in it, same with Sly's 93 Vic when the PI motor went in.
                  +1 Wiring is a PITA.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So, do you mean it will be everything from a 4r70w into the AOD case?
                    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                      If you got a newer 302 out of Explorer you can bolt up a 4r70w to it.
                      The reason why I don't want to go with the transmission itself is because I will put a manual shift valve body into the AOD. Compared to the one for the 4r70w the difference is almost near 300, then I would most likely need to get a controller if I go with the 4r70w.
                      sigpic

Comment

I know Wiring will be pain. Reason Why I am mostly leaning towards the 302 is less cost. For example headgaskets for a 4.6 is about 35-50 while the cheapest one by felpro for the 302 is around 20. Then comes the camshafts. 2 camshafts for the 4.6 is around minimum 600, while for the 302 is around 200-300. Also it I still don't know if I might go with a turbo or a supercharger, still need to think about which. The next thing that I will do will be the transmission. After the transmission will be the engine, also the 4.6 in mines is burning oil like there is no tomorrow. For every 100-130 miles it burns 1 quart of oil, just too much. So most likely next summer I might do the swap. To minimize the pain of the wiring, I might go with my original thought for the ecu system being a megasquirt.
                        sigpic

Comment

I was debating the same thing whenever I was looking for a car in the first place. But remember, the 302 is so cheap because it is basically technology from the 1960's. The mod motors have much newer engine technology and after having test driven both, I liked the 4.6 more than the 302. Old has its place sometimes, but so does new

Comment

Push rod motors are actually newer4 tec than over head cam engines. Only thing realy new to both is the eletronic controls.
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I was meaning more along the lines of metallurgy, block design, head design, etc. Not just whether it has pushrods or not

Comment

Working...
                              X