Debating 302 vs 4.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by killgore View Post
    I was debating the same thing whenever I was looking for a car in the first place. But remember, the 302 is so cheap because it is basically technology from the 1960's. The mod motors have much newer engine technology and after having test driven both, I liked the 4.6 more than the 302. Old has its place sometimes, but so does new
    It may be ancient tech, but it's still significantly cheaper to mod and make more power out of then a 4.6 2v.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yes, the 4.6 is a more advanced powerplant with more technology on its side... But nobody here seems to like 'em.

Also, seeing your car makes me feel less bad about the shape of mine, lol. Still a clean and straight aero tho.
      Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 08-04-2014, 02:46 PM.
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Head design sucks on a mod motor, Metlurgy mod block was designed to be cast out of a t6 ALLOY costing decided to just harden the block as that was cheeper to do. Its a reason many of the threaded holes strip out to easy such as the plugs blowing out amoung other things. Design of the coolant passage from the pressuure side of the pump poor design. Suction side of the of the cavity feeding the pump poor design. Oiling set up poorly designed. Geroter pump cavity design poorly done as well as the passages feeding it and as cast pressure side not the best.

Whats realy bad about a 5.0 block is main web strength was reduced and newer heads dont flow as much. FUNNY IS THE OLD 289 heads flows as much as the 2V mod motors.

Why do I KNOW THESE THINGs, HAS A LOT TO DO WITH WORKING as a engine designer for Ford for 17 years and have built high performance engines for over 45 years. If a mod motor was all that would already have one in Creamy.
        Motore these days that intrests me the most is one of the new mERCURY MARINE 4 VALVE ENGINES TOTALY DESIGNED AND BUILT BY mERCURY MARINE base engine is around 800 HP from there goes up over 1800.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Hopefully its a better effort than their old "470" engine, that aluminum 4 cylinder with the Chevy 454 head on it. That was a stunning piece of crap.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

at Midnight Drifter Taking care of it, by patching up rust holes. That is just how the car looks removing the rustoleum paint. I just noticed Never paint a car with rustoleum, if you want to paint it right after it will be a nightmare.
            1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
            Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
            Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
            sigpic

Comment

So, I was thinking of between both. I guess I will be going with the mod motor. I already had the wiring harness for the 302. Its cheaper. In the sense of I don't need to modify the ac system. Or find an engine block. My plans will be pi heads, bbk longtube headers, hightech stage 2 cams, msd coil packs, plastic intake, bigger throttle body and Maf, and forged pistons and connecting rod (this last one still not sure). I know it might be a little overkill, but I will be tuning my own car and dont want to risk it if there is any detonation. The 302 is cheaper, but finding it,might be the problem in miami. Plus I already know what is the problem my engine has. My aims for HP is 300 at the flywheel. I will not need to worry about the tv cable because I will go with a manual valve body.
              1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
              Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
              Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
              sigpic

Comment

If you really intend to "tune your own car", put a carb on the 4.6 with the MSD ignition and you can easily get your 300RWHP.

Comment

Working...
                X