1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That royally sucks dude.

You could probably find a motor cheaper at a junkyard or off of craigslist if you're looking to save money.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

time for an HO swap. 87-92? mustang/mark VII engine (complete if you can) swap the accessories and brackets from your car (just brackets if everything else is screwed and pop on new parts for the rest - and a 3G alternator)... D9S engine computer... 87-89 cv/gm engine bay wiring... plug in and go.

there's a little more involved, but that's the jist and probably won't cost any more than a straight replacement since you probably have to replace all that wiring anyhow. Just the D9S (or a few other computers) will add probably $30-50 to the total. You can also re-use your intake if it's ok if you don't want to worry about the cable logistics and it'll run like an 86 HO.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

105,000 seems awfully soon for a lopo to fail. First case I've heard of one throwing a rod at all. Holy fark.

And +1 for firing order swap. The HO firing order involves switching the ECM and changing a couple plug wires. Small fix that prevents the lopo knock on lopos that haven't already started it.
        '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
        '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
        '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Good to hear it isn't going to the junkyard. Save up a bit at a time, and it will have a heart transplant in no time!
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

and a cam swap... but if you're already gonna get an entire engine, might as well get the right one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of an H-O swap, I've been checking out the rides on this site and it seems like a pretty solid modification. I'm going to save my change, and when I find the right donor, I'll begin a transplant! Until then, I'm gonna build a car shade over it to keep the roof and paint pretty, and seal off everything so it is just the way I left it when I can start my work. Thanks for the input&condolences!
              1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX

Comment

Look into an Explorer 5.0 also, has the GT40 heads/intake and a cam for more torque at lower rpm than the HO cam. If you're gonna piece the engine together, you can use E7 heads, HO intake and Explorer cam. That'll make plenty of low end, run out of steam faster than the HO cam but being a fairly heavy, automatic car you'll want the torque, and I doubt you'll need the extra mid-high rpm power for a daily driver. Combine that with a K-code rear (3.55 gears, and I would guess being a Vic yours has 2.73 or 3.08 if it's not a tow pack car), Mustang shorties and 2.25 or 2.5" exhaust and it'll be a night and day difference. If I had the time and money I'd build that engine for my Lincoln.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                X