PMC controlled alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMC controlled alternator

I have a 2005 grand marquis that i recently installed a 270 amp mechman alternator onto and i am having some issues. While parked everything is fine but when i put the car into gear reverse/drive it drops to a lower rough idle, than my voltage drops significantly (down into the mid 12's).It even hesitates sometimes when i hit the gas. . Mechman said raising the idle of the car would resolve this issue since it isn't spinning the alternator fast enough to maintain volatage but i would need a tuner. I understand that the voltage output of the alt. is pcm contolled and i would need an external voltage regulator to ever reach higher voltage then what the pcm sets. But the idle is controlled by the pcm as well and EVERY shop i call tell me they are incapable of raising the idle..Would appreciate any suggestions!!!!!

Smaller diameter alternator pulley will make it turn faster if that is in fact the only problem

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

I'd check the IAC to make sure it's working right first.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
      X