Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What works best for removing paint from leather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What works best for removing paint from leather?

The back seat in the '96 has a bit of white paint on the willow green leather seating surface. There's also a small spot of white paint on the carpet. What will work best for removing the paint without damaging the leather or the carpet? Thanks.
    David
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

What kind of paint? For the leather, I'd just take a good leather cleaner/conditioner and buff the hell out of it with a soft cloth. As for the carpet, it may be a bit tougher. May have to cut it out.
    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Looks like an oil-based house paint or something of that type....

I have some Mother's leather treatment, guess I will give that a try.
      David

Comment

I've had surprisingly good results getting all kinds of crap out of car carpets with pet-stain removers... those were oil/grease/coffee based. It may work on paint too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          I've had surprisingly good results getting all kinds of crap out of car carpets with pet-stain removers... those were oil/grease/coffee based. It may work on paint too.
          Great....the overall carpet situation in my '96 is quite a mess, standard carpet and upholstery cleaner hasn't been doing all that much, so maybe the pet stain remover is just the ticket. Thanks!
          David

Comment

Use a magic eraser on the leather, just go at it lightly and it should remove the paint. For the carpet, any carpet cleaner would be a good start. Paint is tough to remove from carpet.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Mother's is working for the leather. I think I will end up cutting off a small amount of the carpet....just to a very shallow depth, as the paint seemed to have just swiped across the surface and didn't go deep.
              David

Comment

Originally posted by fordnmerc View Post
                Mother's is working for the leather. I think I will end up cutting off a small amount of the carpet....just to a very shallow depth, as the paint seemed to have just swiped across the surface and didn't go deep.
                Something I just thought of (though obviously never tried myself) is using an old comb to dig into the carpet under the paint, and then using something like a scouring pad or small sanding device on the paint itself. The teeth of the comb would hopefully protect the underlying carpet, and ideally you would only have to vacuum up the paint flakes/powder. At the least, you might be able to break up the paint enough to make trimming or use of cleaners a little easier.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Use a pumice stone on the carpet. Should scratch the paint enough to pull it out without damaging the carpet itself.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                  1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                  88 CVLX
                  01 Marquis

Comment

Working...
                  X