No announcement yet.

Centrifugal. Supercharger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

procharger leads the way. I got the renegade accesory kit that neatly puts ever so plentifull/lots of upgradable mustang waterpump/3g alt/ps pump over on the passenger side, leaving the drivers side wide open for the renegade bracketing for a the procharger unit.
    Better do the tranny/ driveshaft /rear end/ actual fuel system /mallory 685 ignition box/ a9 computer ready to be dyno tune chipped 1st or you will have nothing but headaches lol.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

A centrifugal blower is less than optimal for a heavy car. You can make it work with a good cmashaft grind, torque converter, gearing, etc. They don't make boost off idle like a screw type blower, which is what you want when you're trying to move something heavy.

I had a Paxton NOVI 2000 on my Dodge Ram. 13 psi on the stock bottom end. It was fun, but difficult with a heavy truck, especially with the manual transmission. The small 4.7 has a lack of low end grunt, which was not fixed with the blower. The boost would come in at about 2200, and thats when the tires would start spinning. Because the NV3500 is a truck tranny, the gear spread is wide. Unless you held the engine wound right up, shift recovery would fall below 2200, and you'd be waiting on the boost again.

I'd go with a screw type blower, or turbocharging if you're bent on FI for your panther. If not, theres nothing like a NA screamer. For less than the cost of a correctly built S/C or turbo build, you could have a robust NA build.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

couldnt you remedy a that issue with a pulle change. to me if you say the boost take effect at 2200 wouldnt a smaller SC pulley make up for that boost at a lower rpm? im not experienced with boost or anything it was just a thought.
        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I had a Vortech on my 96' which is now on my 85' along with the rest of the drivetrain. Nice thing about centrifugal blowers is that they don't make power until higher rpms so just driving around car feels like any other normal car would. It's not until you get on it that you feel all the extra power.

Roots or twin screw is nice to have because the power is always there and it's instant. You don't have to get to the higher RPMs to take advantage of it. You could always through hi stall converter and steeper gears in the car to somewhat compensate for that though.

I've heard roots or twin screw also puts more strain on the engine though.

Smaller blower pulley doesn't change the rpm at which it hits. Just changes the amount of boost that the blower makes. Smaller pulley, spins faster, pumps more air.
          Last edited by Mr Bean; 08-11-2014, 04:06 PM.

Comment

agreed. but at lower cruising speeds wouldnt you feel it because its making more boost sooner?
            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Contact Paradise Wheels in California, the dist for Paxton SN series blowers.

Comment

Supercharger won't be incredibly effective without a solid base to work on. You'd need a cam or heads atleast. If you want to run real boost then you'll need stronger rods and whatnot, I've put thought into a turbo build which would be interesting. Though, after I finish my 351 I don't want to hinder drive ability and fuel economy.. Or ruin my newly built investment. I'm sure I'll be happy with the NA.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

yessir with a smaller pulley you build boost sooner and higher max boost assuming no bov.
                  Our cars arn't really that heavy at around 4000lbs they arnt that bad at all, especially with 3.73's, less weight than most new "muscle cars"
                  Centri blowers are perfect because its progressive power allowing for great traction characteristics (which you will still be struggling with) which a roots is not good at. Way better than turbos for tuning because of the direct relation between the crank rpm and centri blower unit. Gas here in canada is over $5.25/gal and i don't forsee prices going down in our lifetimes so something that's using less than 5hp to freewheel at cruising speeds is also great... so you can actually have fun driving... while puting out crazy power when you want it.
                  I myself run 2 dry nitrous systems at only 50hp and 75hp each right now after the centri so it goes through the intercooler and all cooling the air temps allooot. for a givin hp, nitrous adds 150% tq at whatever rpm its engaged at. Window switches can turn nitrous on and off at any rpms you like if you find yourself needing it lol.
                  HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

For those mentioning a new cam, it has to be a grind made for a supercharger application. If you throw on an off the shelf cam with lots of overlap it's just going to dump fuel out of the exhaust on overlap. It'll scream at high rpm but it's not a good idea, won't even want to idle. With a centrifugal blower it's not as bad but it's still not ideal, and not even driveable with a roots/twin screw

Also look into Procharger systems, they have a great system for fox bodies that could be modified for a box, and they use air-to-air intercoolers, more efficient and less plumbing that air-to-water-to-air.
                    Last edited by 88Vic; 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

88vic's gotter figured out.
                      You need to focus on building a nice motor that makes atleast 300fwhp NA (not hard to do with gt40 heads even) with a low end minded cam that features shorter non-overlapping durations and high lifts favouring exhaust side. Custom is ideal, off the shelf the comp xe258 is still the best cam I've tried and fits the forced induction bill perfect. The stock mustang cam with 1.7's is a nice blower cam setup aswell... lacking in the lower end power though compared to xe258 and it's friends.
                      One of the 5-7psi setups will make 7psi pushing against the shatty HO intakes/heads but that does not mean 7psi makes it into the cylinder... it does mean the motor is using 55hp to make that 7psi, and maybe 4psi makes it to the cylinder entrance... it will be a 300hp or so end result with a fair bit of extra heat and ineficiancy losses.

If one builds a nice 350hp NA motor with afr heads and heavily ported explorer intakes and that exact same blower system will be making maybe only 4.5psi while using slightly less hp to produce it, and almost every bit of that cooler denser psi makes it into the cylinder for higher gains with less parasitic loss becuase the motor flows so well.
                      Psi doesn't make power, cfm flow does, psi is just the measurable force pushing against a restriction... ofcourse restriction is bad. A blower wants to flow volumes of air, the motor is the restriction building the unwanted psi.

Comment

Centries don't whine. They sound like turbos.
                        1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Best economy is with turbos a pair of them off a turbo Tbird or a Mecur (sp) work fine for about 550 Lbs of torq over a wide RPM range. Set up realy well might dip a box into the 10s, 12s easy and do better on economy.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                            Best economy is with turbos a pair of them off a turbo Tbird or a Mecur (sp) work fine for about 550 Lbs of torq over a wide RPM range. Set up realy well might dip a box into the 10s, 12s easy and do better on economy.
                            This... this is what I want.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                              Psi doesn't make power, cfm flow does, psi is just the measurable force pushing against a restriction... ofcourse restriction is bad. A blower wants to flow volumes of air, the motor is the restriction building the unwanted psi.
                              This.

Something very few people actually realize. My buddy has an '03 Lightning that put down 440 rwhp @ 16 psi with a pulley on the stock blower and long block. Last winter, we pulled the engine for a build. Pistons, rods, etc. He bought TW heads, and a set of a Comp blower cams (also a critical point Merc91 made), and had Stegmeier port the stock Eaton. On the dyno this spring, with the same pulley, it made 480 rwhp @ 11 psi.

Pressure is potential, and is in no way indicative of volumetric flow rate. In the realm of fluid dynamics vs electrical, pressure:voltage as flow rate:current. Voltage has nothing to do with current, its just the potential. The engine is a restriction in the supercharger's flow path, which creates the pressure differential.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                                This.

Something very few people actually realize. My buddy has an '03 Lightning that put down 440 rwhp @ 16 psi with a pulley on the stock blower and long block. Last winter, we pulled the engine for a build. Pistons, rods, etc. He bought TW heads, and a set of a Comp blower cams (also a critical point Merc91 made), and had Stegmeier port the stock Eaton. On the dyno this spring, with the same pulley, it made 480 rwhp @ 11 psi.

Pressure is potential, and is in no way indicative of volumetric flow rate. In the realm of fluid dynamics vs electrical, pressure:voltage as flow rate:current. Voltage has nothing to do with current, its just the potential. The engine is a restriction in the supercharger's flow path, which creates the pressure differential.

I have incountered this often port someones heads intake in boosted aplications. This ends up reducing restrictions in the system dropping the boost level often with so much loss in boost ETs bairly changed. Raising the boost to previous levels then see big improvement.
                                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                                X