Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the 2001 mercury grand marquis gs a double or single din stock head unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the 2001 mercury grand marquis gs a double or single din stock head unit?

I need to replace my head unit which looks like a double din, but I've read online that similar models won't fit a double din. Then I also read something about a din and a half...does that even exist? What modifications, if any would have to be made to fit a double din?

it's a double din, BUT! the vent ducts take out a top area so that only the stock double will fit. Aftermarket will have to be a single din with an adapter mount.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have a 2000 Grand Marquis, so I guess it's pretty much the same setup as yours. Here's a couple of photos, showing the space in the dash for my stock head unit (though I might have broken off some plastic somewhere along the line) and the side of my stock head unit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0256.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1276211Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1276212

The thickest part of my stock head unit is about 3.5 inches high while the very back of it is 2.5 inches high. It looks like my various head units are 2 inches high. I don't know the ins and outs of DIN sizing, but if you need 4 inches for a double DIN, it wouldn't fit in my dash without some cutting.

I went through a phase of trying various head units that I picked up cheap, and I just made a cradle for them that sits on the transmission hump. I never bothered trying to fit anything in the dash. The head unit I'm using at any given time will fall over if I corner too hard, but this is something I use to keep my driving in check.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
        ... The thickest part of my stock head unit is about 3.5 inches high while the very back of it is 2.5 inches high. ...
        I should probably clarify that the thickest part of the metal is about 3.5 inches high. The plastic on the front is close to 4 inches high.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

they changed the duct in 03 to allow full double din.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

if you want basic. get the "dash kit" to make it a single din. if not then do as suggested and swap the vents
            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Thanks for the responses, think I'm gonna go with a single din flip out tv deck

Comment

should be nice on that dash.

Comment

Its called 1.5 din. There are a few aftermarket players that fit, but single din is the easiest.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                  1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                  88 CVLX
                  01 Marquis

Comment

what brand you going with?
                    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Not quite sure what brand

Comment

No preferences? If you want quality and price. I am a huge fan of Infinity Kappa series subs/amps/speakers they're fantastic for their price. Only vendor is online though. I vote amazon or eBay. A set of 4 in your preferred sizes should run you bout 200 from online. If you run 4 then you can get by on the 4ch. Internal amp on the head unit. They really shine with mids and especially highs. Lows are ok. Best bet is to pair them wth an infinty 10 or 12 sub. Then with your choice of headunit match the amp to power the sub to that brand of headunit so they jive together nicely.

Comment

Working...
                        X