Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Box 5.8 info?? Canadian Towing Package info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Box 5.8 info?? Canadian Towing Package info?

Was the Canadian 5.8 the same as our P72 motor? Any info on their towing package?

From what I have read the 5.8's were the same in canada and the US. I do not have any info on towing packages though...I would imagine them being similar to the US as well.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I have never been around a towing package model. However, my 351W seems to be identical to a police model mechanically other than the cooling stuff. Heavy duty water pump, but no external coolers or anything. 11 inch drums. Seems to be the same cam, carb, emissions stuff, etc. All that I've seen were dual exhaust.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

wouldn't surprise me much that it was basically the same as a police model. Probably if you had a civi model with a tow package, it would be so close to the same as a P72 that only us nerds would ever know. No solid upper arm bushings would probably be the only real tell.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've never seen a tow package car with the CVPI swaybars, front or rear.
          Or the oil cooler for that matter.

Comment

The 89 MGM I had with the 5.8 Cdn pkg must have been really strange. It was an LS model but by no means loaded with options, and everything was the same as a regular 5.0 equipped car except the engine itself, gas tank, and the rear axle was a 2:73 : 1 Traction-Lok. It had the 351 VV carb but the suspension was stupidly soft, the rear brakes were 10", no rear sway bars, regular water pump, no auxiliary coolers, 65 amp alternator. The AOD was controlled by a rod instead of a cable. But it was an original built-like-that-car as the build sheet under the seat matched all the codes/VIN everywhere else on the car. It even said "5.8 CDN" in the comments section of the build sheet.
            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
              The 89 MGM I had with the 5.8 Cdn pkg must have been really strange. It was an LS model but by no means loaded with options, and everything was the same as a regular 5.0 equipped car except the engine itself, gas tank, and the rear axle was a 2:73 : 1 Traction-Lok. It had the 351 VV carb but the suspension was stupidly soft, the rear brakes were 10", no rear sway bars, regular water pump, no auxiliary coolers, 65 amp alternator. The AOD was controlled by a rod instead of a cable. But it was an original built-like-that-car as the build sheet under the seat matched all the codes/VIN everywhere else on the car. It even said "5.8 CDN" in the comments section of the build sheet.
              FWIW, mine was the same other than the brakes and water pump. Base-model swaybars.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I don' think there were many, especially of the Mercury persuasion, made from 88-91. Even a lot of Canadian police models in those years were 5.0 equipped with 3:55 rear gears. I wish I still had it as I'm thinking it was pretty rare and might be worth something some day. I think the 5.8 cars were a lot more common from 79-87. Mine was the only one I ever saw other than the occasional Ford ex-cop car, which was available in the US anyway.
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

police model with the 5.0 and 3.55 gears, interesting!
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    police model with the 5.0 and 3.55 gears, interesting!
                    I found a few of them in rural Ontario junkyards in the early 2000s. Probably all gone through the crusher by now though.

Comment

Working...
                    X