Site server busy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site server busy

the past couple of day I have been unable to access the site, I was given a message that the server is busy, and to try later. I can't imagine the servers are THAT overloaded for a few days straight...
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

we're on a shared server, so its hard to say. Possible there is some bullshit exploit out for software used on one of the however many other websites this machine runs. I remember when I worked for the web host (not this one), you could watch servers keel over when that crap happened, and it sometimes took days to get fully sorted out.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's been bad for me too. This is the 2nd time I've been able to get to the site in a few days.
      Last edited by slack; 08-20-2014, 04:27 PM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

On a couple of occasions (including during the wee hours this morning), I've seen supposed new members posting a bunch of lengthy, meaningless posts. What's up with that? And could this be related to the "server too busy" issue? The server was too busy shortly before I got on and saw the meaningless posts this morning.

A possible solution for the meaningless post problem would be to have members enter digits that appear in an image when submitting posts. I would presume most people would know what I'm talking about, though I don't know if this might be too inconvenient for most members.
        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 10-08-2014, 12:43 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

spammers... they will be dealt with as we can get to them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Most of the time whenever I reload the page once or twice I can get in. Sometimes though I have to wait a couple of hours

Comment

those times are probably due to other sites that share the server we use hogging up resources.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Seems the adjustments made are keeping the site available. Please let me know of there's any seriously obnoxious load times or "Database Error" pages showing up any more. I think I've got the site tweaked to work with the server and the other sites hogging resources.

Comment

It's been noticeably better.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I think it's just been because the other sites on the server have been noticeably quieter.

Comment

Some of those settings were a bit on the conservative side because we got a complaint about resource usage. I think they likely went on a sweep of the server at some point and just sent nastygrams to everyone who had higher than what they'd prefer usage. It happens with shared hosting. I used to be the guy that sent those emails
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ah... then I should probably drop that number a bit from what I set it to. Though if I knew what the physical server had for cpu cores, I could set that number exactly without issue. This guessing game gets old fast, but it's all we got.

Comment

This tell you anything? There are 8 effective processors based on this, I'm guessing dual quad core physically.
                          Looks like 8 gb of memory too.

processor : 7
                          vendor_id : GenuineIntel
                          cpu family : 6
                          model : 23
                          model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz
                          stepping : 10
                          cpu MHz : 2327.530
                          cache size : 6144 KB
                          physical id : 1
                          siblings : 4
                          core id : 3
                          cpu cores : 4
                          apicid : 7
                          fpu : yes
                          fpu_exception : yes
                          cpuid level : 13
                          wp : yes
                          flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 lahf_lm
                          bogomips : 4654.28
                          clflush size : 64
                          cache_alignment : 64
                          address sizes : 38 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
                          power management:

Comment

in that case, 16 would be about the 100% point (Hyperthreading BS)... which on a server isn't actually 100%... overload would probably be considered about 24. I think I have it set at 20 right now... so our site will be able to get a little slow, but remain usable without putting too much load on the server. We'll see how it rides.

Comment

Working...
                            X