no overdrive on the 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    Usually when the OD band goes, it does a 3-neutral shift, not a no-upshift.

No 3 and 4 is usually the direct clutch. It could be the secondary input shaft broke or the converter stripped out but with 150 thunderous horsepower on tap, its unlikely. If it shifts into 3, its definitely not a converter, direct clutch, or input shaft problem though.

Somehow I'm thinking valve body issue or maybe the servo is dinked. Also possible the TV pressure is jacked way the hell up, causing it to not shift. Are your other shift points very late by any chance?
    I found tons of chunks of junk in the trans pan when I swapped the linkage between it and the 89 trans that was going in.

The link in the thread below I found to be useful for adjusting the TV pressure.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...djustment-info
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

all shift points are perfect. 1st is a bit rough but that a backpressure issue cause theres only a y-pipe dumping under the front seat at the moment. that will be fixed in the next few days. but driving it is an identical match to my 82 with the same trans. (82 is carbed though) shifts great, doesnt jerk, doesnt do anything out of the ordinary except for not going into OD at 35-40 as my other car does.

with how smoothly it functions i was suspecting something specific to the OD. thats why i assumed valve body.
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        the torque converter drives the pump, inner and outer input shafts... the inner shaft drives 3 and 4(OD) so if you have 3, the TC is fine.

+1 probably OD solenoid/band issues.
        No solenoids in the AOD valve body. Possibly a sticking valve or a warped valve body casting, but most likely a worn OD band.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

mechanical servo? that holds the OD band engaged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

heres a question. can the bands be adjusted like the oldschool c4?

would a tranny flush with an aditive be a wise decision? im leaning toward no on that one.
            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

the torque converter drives the pump, inner and outer input shafts... the inner shaft drives 3 and 4(OD) so if you have 3, the TC is fine.

There is a split torque path in 3rd. 40% is still through the outer shaft while 60% is through the inner with the converter locked up. OD has 100% through the inner shaft with the converter locked up. My Lentech valve body eliminates converter lockup completely in 3rd gear so 100% is through the outer shaft.

Comment

converter lockup didn't start until the AODE. AOD does not have converter lockup, just a direct clutch further in the trans on the inner shaft.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

converter lockup didn't start until the AODE. AOD does not have converter lockup, just a direct clutch further in the trans on the inner shaft.
                  Although it is technically accurate that the clutch is inside of the transmission instead of a piston and disc inside of the converter, the fact remains that only 60% of the engine torque is transmitted through the inner shaft in 3rd gear. It is not until 4th gear that 100% of the engine torque is transmitted through the inner shaft. The fact that the "lockup" is not internal to the converter is the reason that this split torque path is possible..

Comment

still best to clarify as "converter lockup" is a little misleading with an AOD.

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                      heres a question. can the bands be adjusted like the oldschool c4?

No band adjustments in an AOD.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dammit....

Comment

sorry dude... you need a new OD band. I recommend a TransGo shift kit while you have valve body out.
                          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

looks like a flush and fluid change then calling it a day.... i have no clue how to do a trans rebuild and im not about to try..

thanks for the help guys. at least i have direction now and know what to do.

Comment

I'd start with the valve body. It's easy to pull, and you can find out really quick if you have any sticking valves or crap clogging up the works. If you are doing a fluid change might as well spend the extra few bucks on gaskets.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

planned on a filter kit which does include a gasket. so thatll be nice

Comment

Working...
                                X