no overdrive on the 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no overdrive on the 88

not sure where to start with this one. my 88 merc has no overdrive. its never shifted into OD since ive owned it. dont know what to do or which direction to go. fluids topped off, no slipping, no leaks, kickdown works when you get on it, so thats not an issue, relatively low miles at 94k, tv is still good and intact (will be replacing it anyway for obvious reasons).

shifts normally all throughout gears at identical shift points to my 82 but no OD. my 82 usually hits OD once i speed up past 35 and let off the gas. manually shifting it to OD even at 60 doesnt seem to do a thing.

debris in the valve body maybe?

as always thanks for your input
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

C4 maybe? Did you ever look under the car to see if you have an AOD?

Comment

I do recall seeing it when I was under there recently. Its a says it on the pan. Aod that is
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

My tranny guy said the converter is bad. The splines that drive O/D strip off and cannot be fixed. Sometimes the metal fragments get inside the transmission and reek havoc. Best to find another transmission or just drive it the way it is. WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Would it be worth swapping the t/c and see what it gets me or is it def. Toast with metal in the tranny?

Comment

What causes that? What would make it fail at 94k vs my 82 with 158k?

Comment

Most likely needs a new OD band. If you are going to go through the effort of pulling the transmission out to replace the Torque converter, it takes 30 mins extra to pull the pan, valve body, OD servo, pull the front pump and replace the OD band.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I have no money to do the repairs. Only reason I thought of the t/c is because I got a stock replacement from my dads 84 vic wag.

Comment

I can only tell you what my tranny guy told me. On the earlier cars they didn't heat treat the splines and they strip off. If someone else has a better idea of what is wrong, please chime in! WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park
                  70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Oh no im agreeing with you man its all good. Im just saying the only thong I got to throw at it at the moment is a spare t/c. I was curious if it'd be worth trying

Comment

the torque converter drives the pump, inner and outer input shafts... the inner shaft drives 3 and 4(OD) so if you have 3, the TC is fine.

+1 probably OD solenoid/band issues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^ .....shit

Comment

isnt reverse on the same band as OD? if thats the case, reverse works fine

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                            isnt reverse on the same band as OD? if thats the case, reverse works fine
                            I couldn't tell you, but when I first got my 91 it would not shift into 3rd or OD but Reverse, 1st, and 2nd all worked fine. My guess on my 91 is that the TV bushing failed and someone picked up a handful of the same plastic junk and replaced it, there were a couple of plastic spares in the glove box.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Usually when the OD band goes, it does a 3-neutral shift, not a no-upshift.

No 3 and 4 is usually the direct clutch. It could be the secondary input shaft broke or the converter stripped out but with 150 thunderous horsepower on tap, its unlikely. If it shifts into 3, its definitely not a converter, direct clutch, or input shaft problem though.

Somehow I'm thinking valve body issue or maybe the servo is dinked. Also possible the TV pressure is jacked way the hell up, causing it to not shift. Are your other shift points very late by any chance?
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X