• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flush it all out, and go with Mercon V

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
      Flush it all out, and go with Mercon V
      Probably overkill but wouldn't hurt. Type F should be fine.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

With this one, its far more about viscosity than additives. The friction modifiers and all that do absolutely squat for you in a power steering application. All the pump cares about is the right thickness of fluid so the pressure ends up about right. When the pump wears a bit, the thicker Type F works out better to quiet it down. Same principal of running heavier oil in a tired motor so it makes oil pressure.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          With this one, its far more about viscosity than additives. The friction modifiers and all that do absolutely squat for you in a power steering application. All the pump cares about is the right thickness of fluid so the pressure ends up about right. When the pump wears a bit, the thicker Type F works out better to quiet it down. Same principal of running heavier oil in a tired motor so it makes oil pressure.
          Exactly correct. Needed for tranys but not P/S units. I would venture to guess Type F is thicker than Mercon V.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Found an actual qt of type F at Advance..........will suck out the pump and replace with the new F.

Comment

If you have any left over, mix it 50/50 with acetone to make a good penetrating oil on the cheap.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Better than WD-40?
                Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                If you have any left over, mix it 50/50 with acetone to make a good penetrating oil on the cheap.

Comment

by a wide margin. I found the article somewhere but basically a number of different lubes were tested on a rusted fastner and the one that required the least amount of torque to break loose was the acetone/ATF mix. WD40 is pretty shit as a penetrating lube. Considering thats not what it was designed to do, its to be expected.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...owdown.350800/

Comment

hmm... I'll have to try that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X