Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1994 Marquis needs help again!!!!!

Ill be quick.....

Car is running now....but has a trans. issue....it shifts really good and has not jerked or anything bad BUT!

From second to third you can hear is shift from 2nd to 3rd but in less then one second the cars back at 2nd again....it's not a hard shift at all....you need the windows up radio off feet to the floor both hand on the wheel and body against the back of the seat to feel it...I thought i was feeling things BUT how i know its doing this problem is the RPMS don't change like they should when going into a steeper gear....I need to know before anything else should I just sell her now and buy a new car?? Cause I don't want to put allot of $$$ in this car right now...I need one that's as reliable as old blacky 316XXX

Please help.

Thanks

you're feeling the lockup in 3rd gear. the trans has lockup in 3rd and 4th. So potential steps are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd-locked, 4th, and 4th-locked.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

WHAT!!! What the H is lock up!!! Is it bad?

Comment

I'm saying that's how it's supposed to work.

Lock-up gives you better gas mileage.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Its supposed to do that. Lockup just means its bypassing the torque converter for better mileage and less heat. That became a thing in the early 80s as a relatively easy way to improve drive line efficiency.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I see I watched the video and it helped very much.

But see here's the thing, while I had the a/c on and on the highway with O\D off i felt the car missing and it felt as if it was jumping between either OD or 3rd or 3rd and 2nd but you could barley, between the bumps in the road feel it....I know this is a trans issue and its super small now but i feel its going to get big w\o care...right Thank you for the help guys....please read my other problems listed in the other categories thanks...

Comment

That's probably the AC compressor cycling.
              If the transmission was slipping or shifting like that, it would be way more than barely perceptible.
              Last edited by sly; 08-31-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

yea a/c cycling

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Damn! cause the feeling goes away once I hit OD on again...Could that be cause the cars at a lower RPM?
                  You are supposed to use OD on freeway speeds correct, to get the best performance?

Okay....then what could cause this....while driving on some days...the car shift liner no change in rpms form first to third...then sometimes it goes from third to second with a change in rpm?! Like my old black one would...
                  I now I am over thinking it..But I don't want to scrap this car....or I will exhaust every alternative before i do..

Comment

sometimes the shifting can seem weird on the electronic transmissions. They tend to shift for best mileage rather than performance in stock settings... and also for comfort... meaning they will not have much feel to them and will sometimes seem to hunt for a gear if you're on grades or moving the gas pedal up and down only slightly and going just the right speed. The thing you should look out for is torque converter shudder that typically happens around 35-40mph when it tries to lock-up for better mileage... the slipping will cause a shudder that will go away if you goose it to disable the lockup or slow down.

Comment

Thank you. U guys have been very helpful. I'll keep you posted on her.

Comment

Okay well Im back again.....how long should the delay from drive to reverse be? or from park? Cause mine takes about 2-3 seconds....also ive noticed when driving in reverse with steady acceleration the car fells as if its missing its gear...........same as the first gear when its hot and I take off i can feel a slight miss, as if im going over a couple soft bumps.

I did a test earlier today i let the car roll forward a bit in Neutral then shifted it into reverse the car proceeded to shudder quietly then shift into the Reverse gear....but you could feel it...if a video would help i can get on.

What can cause this....Am i right about running into tranny problems?

Comment

trans fluid is probably a quart low. this means you probably have a small leak somewhere (usually the tail shaft seal, cooler lines quick connects near the trans, pan seal, or at the radiator). Top it up and roll on. Use MERCON V.

Comment

Working...
                          X