New GM owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GM owner

Hello all. I'm the proud new owner of a 2004 "Slate grey" GS. I ran across this car in really nice shape with only 47K miles on it. very clean car. I look forward to learning from you guys. Been searching around the forum for info on suspension upgrades. At the very least I figure I'll do the shocks within a few thousand miles but would also like to add a rear sway bar.

I actually called up Ford customer service in an effort to get some details on what the car was supplied with.

After giving the nice lady the vin number, she looked up the car and gave me the following info:

Apparently it has "Handling shock absorbers" in the front and "Standard duty" shocks in the rear.

It has "ABS level 2" (anyone know what "level 2 means"?)

She also said it showed an "Upsized front stabilizer bar" and rear coil springs.

There is no rear sway bar.

I do have access to an '89 wagon and was wondering if any of those parts could be scavenged and used on my 2004, although that car has been sitting for quite some time and is a pile of rust.

Anyway, I'll post some pictures soon. I'm loving this car.
    Last edited by renshen1; 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM.

Welcome to the Party!!
    By the way, there should be a rear sway bar, since every Panther manufactured after 1991 came with one.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I've put police kyb gas a justs all 4 corners on my 03, civilian springs front/cargo coils rear, and hoo boy is it different. It's really not for me, I think the ride is too hard (next time I'll get the civvie gas a justs), but that's a personal opinion. It handles a LOT different.

There's still more one could do, sway bar upgrades (addco or off of police cars, rear 98+, front 03+), poly sway bar bushings, and the rear billet control arms and watts link are supposed to be the bomb. FYI, some of the rear control arm bushings on mine were shot with 90k miles on them.

Congrats on your car!

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find everything you need here, even though most of us own boxes there's plenty of knowledge around whales here!

Oh and uh.. Mind ripping that swaybar off that wagon and sending it to me! Thanks!!

Pete covered it all mostly, my 06 interceptor handles pretty hard and I like that feeling. Though your car is a comfort car and not a performance handling car, keep that in mind; sometimes boats are ment to act like boats

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
            Oh and uh.. Mind ripping that swaybar off that wagon and sending it to me! Thanks!!
            ...or you could send it my way. Haha

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Welcome! Post some pics of your GM.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome!

At some point in the 2000s they stopped putting rear sway bars on the civilian models. I bought an ADDCO rear stabilizer off of www.adtr.net and the KYB police shocks off of http://www.rockauto.com for mine. It rides A LOT better now.
                The Fist of Pain
                2007 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Welcome!
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                  X