Fuel Economy mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Economy mods

Are there any cheap fuel economy mods out there for the 5.0? I'm not looking to strip the interior or anything, just a little better highway mpg.

I know that cruise control and driver habits play a huge role as well, call it a crazy goal but I want to coax 30mpg out of one of these, even for just a second.

start at the top of a hill lol... beyond that there isn't much left on the table for mpg on a 150hp brick
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Duals, roller lifters, electric fan, 40 lbs in the tires, good tune = 20/21mpg at 70/75. It might do better at 55/60 but I'll never know.

Donald

Comment

Get rid of any unnecessary things you might be carrying around in the back seat or trunk. You might be surprised at how heavy all the stuff is that you don't need or use.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

You could install an aero-panther under shield in the front of the car for less drag under the car.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Since you have an 85, you actually have one of the most fuel efficient boxes (although slowest boxes). A properly running CFI car is actually very good on gas on the highway, at least on flat ground. My 100% bone stock 85 got 26 on the highway the one time I checked and I wasn't driving it lightly.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Dear Panthers,
              Brown Muscle wrote: "You could install an aero-panther under shield in the front of the car for less drag under the car."

What's this and where can I get one?

Donald

Comment

donald
                i have one here we got for your car, it never got on cause of we ran out of time

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  You could install an aero-panther under shield in the front of the car for less drag under the car.
                  I'll probably do that if they fit right on, I had a Volvo 240 and I noticed a bit better gas mileage tweaking the aerodynamics under the car.

I've sold the '85 Marquis though, after trying about every kind of fix I determined that the whole steering wheel stalk would have to be removed, then I'd have to pick around for a wire. After that I'd have to do a ton more work that really wouldn't be worth it in the end.

I'll probably be replacing it with an '89 Vic with the "semi-aero" front end. Its in far better shape.

Comment

Dual exhaust would likely help some, if only because it improves engine efficiency. Making the underside less dirty from an airflow POV would be a huge help I expect.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cruise control is more an intermediate step. I can beat cruise control by 10+% pretty consistently through other techniques. Google hypermiling.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I'm too much of a lead foot. Cruise control at 65 is my hypermiling

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

only way you'll get that is if you drive 50mph tops on a perfectly flat road
                          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                            only way you'll get that is if you drive 50mph tops on a perfectly flat road
                            55 with minimum wind, flat roads, cruise control, and a four leaf clover.

Comment

Oui, that '89 I was eager to snatch up turned out to have a bad transmission, this being Craigslist you gotta call them or look at the car before they actually tell you any faults.

I really do wonder why Ford changed the lifters on the 5.0 AND why in '88+ they went with that plastic TV bit for the transmission, to save $5 a car?

Comment

Working...
                              X