Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SORRY! This car is NEEDY::::94 Mercury Marquis needs help to the 3rd power...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SORRY! This car is NEEDY::::94 Mercury Marquis needs help to the 3rd power...

Yes I said the to third power.....

OKAY! The car has what I think is pre-ignition or knocking issues, the car runs great...like you can't here the engine...but when you use the kick down or when using first on WOT the car makes a sound that my old black when made... a nasty knocking\rattle noise until it shifts....it just started recently after driving it....before the car was great a acceleration and highway maneuvers but now its as if the car has lost some steam or power...it feels sluggish upon heavy maneuvers... Ideas?? Not the car was sitting for six months and had no gas in the tank...MIL light is on for EGR related reasons gas millage is soso..

Thanks

NEXT!

Car has a loud fuel pump from sitting 6 months....and after a while of driving the car comes filled with a gas smell...and the gas cap was replaced...It's coming from the trunk area for sure, if you lift the truck door you can really smell it!! even when stepping outside and around the back end of the car.

NEXT!!

A\C compressor makes a LOUD clicking noise at all times except when off it sill cycles on and off. The a\c still gets pretty cold...but the evap or drier mounted on the right hand side passenger shock tower area by the RAD over fill area. takes a while to get cold but it doesn't get that cold....not to the point where it's sweating...

NEXT!!!

Coolant leak form back of engine area sometimes it is allot sometimes its a little, the temp kinda bounces a little but not crazy.

Im thinking engine mounts for this one...vibrations in the wheel and at idle you can kinda feel the engine through the cabin area.

And thats all for now...thanks again you guys are awesome!! My mechanic is going to get a work out with this one!

SEB
    Last edited by Seb B.; 08-31-2014, 09:41 PM.

1) Depending upon the code, the EGR issue may just need the port under it cleaned.
    2) Gas smell, from that place, may be the fuel pipe gasket that goes at the end of the fuel pipe (where it enters the tank). There is one gasket right there where you fuel up and another where the pipe enters the tank. I would change BOTH if they are the issues.
    3) Not sure what you are describing on the A/C. Compressor could be failing, low on oil or some other issues. Have the shop check the high and low pressure numbers. That should lead them in the right direction.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I added one more....

It has to do with the DPFE??? Or something like that...

be sure to check the other about the coolant...could it be the heater core??

Comment

Have the car pressure tested for the coolant issues. And what year and model are we talking about???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Sorry - I think you said '94 GM in another thread...

Comment

did you mount an amp to the front side of the trunk and run screws thru the gas tank?
            check the lines, vapor line may be rotted out and or return line leaking
            engine probably needs a full tune up and the egr passages cleaned and vacuum leaks fixed.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
              did you mount an amp to the front side of the trunk and run screws thru the gas tank?
              check the lines, vapor line may be rotted out and or return line leaking
              engine probably needs a full tune up and the egr passages cleaned and vacuum leaks fixed.
              What he said!!! Funny how you mentioned the amp in the trunk. PO of my '95 actually did that!!!

Comment

HAHAH!! that got me laughing a bit... No with my my luck id be in the hospital...

Will do!!

Thanks!! I posted an update for the 93 Town'e

And yes this is the 94 Marquis I plan to have more soon so beware

Comment

a/c problem sounds similar to the clutch going out on it while its engaged. id try a junkyard one first to rule that out then move on the the compressor. loud fuel pump is a sign its on it was out. had one too many customers leave my store agitated after we tell them that one only to have them come back looking to buy one. engine mounts could be a probem. if you notice alot of engine "flop" when cranking or at low rpm you should look into them. and coolant leak leads me to suggest freeze plug or heater hose headed to/from the heater core.

hope that gives you some direction dude. good luck
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Pinging and non-working EGR go together. Fix the EGR and it may fix the ping problems too.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Would spark plugs and wires have anything to do with pinging\knocking?

Comment

Working...
                      X