Lower-pressure radiator cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower-pressure radiator cap?

Anybody know a part number for, say, a 10-12 lb radiator cap that will fit a stock radiator rather than the 16 lb one?

I don't know the part number, but I put a 15 lb cap on my 88 Town Car and it helped enormously. I bought it at a Chevy dealer, all Ford caps that fit were 16 lb.
    I don't think I've burst any heater cores, or assorted hoses since I went to the 15 lb cap.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Ike Clanton View Post
      Anybody know a part number for, say, a 10-12 lb radiator cap that will fit a stock radiator rather than the 16 lb one?
      .....murray/motorrad part # 7009=9lb, 7013=13lb., couldn't find a 10 or 12 lb cap

Comment

If your cooling system is in good shape, theres no reason not to use the stock cap.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I also found a Stant 7 lb cap, 10228.

Comment

Uh, yeah, putting a lower pressure cap on your car is decreasing the cooling capacity of your entire system. If you're blowing hoses and heater cores with a stock cap there's more problems there.

Comment

I also would question whether 15 vs. 16lbs would make much of a difference. Definitely going about the problem from the wrong end. They worked with 16lb caps stock, why does the car not anymore?

Also, the trend in general is to more pressure. The newer Ford and Mazda engines are mostly 21lb caps.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I don't know why I had the problems I did. I tried everything (including no less than 4 16 lb caps) But with the 16 lb cap it used to pop hoses, heater cores and even block heaters/frost plugs for fun. It seems much better now with the 15 lb cap. Still lots of pressure in the top rad hose at normal operating temperature and it never gets hot so I call it a job well done.
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

I agree 100% with nfldfordltd. I just replaced all the hoses on my 89 Colony Park and put a new 16lb cap on and still had issues including coolant seeping from the timing cover. I replaced the timing cover gaskets and everything was fine for a day, then it started seeping again! The upper radiator hose was as hard as a wedding dick! I put an old 14lb cap on it and everything is fine now. WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park
                  70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

makes me wonder if those caps are lifting at the pressure they are marked to. Also, aftermarket radiators don't always have the cap area made right. Someone on here had an aftermarket rad that wouldn't make pressure at all, and I think it was finally determined that they made the neck too deep for the cap to seal in. Maybe some are made too shallow and cause the cap to run at higher pressure.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

FWIW I had suspicions that the old (as in about 2 years old) 16 lb cap I was using was holding more than 16 lbs. Additionally, it never seemed to pull coolant back out of the reservoir once the engine cooled.

The new, lower-pressure cap I installed is working fine.

Comment

all 16# here on the 88, 82, and 93... and the aftermarket rads seem good with it too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                        X