'87 GM Alternator Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'87 GM Alternator Numbers

Had my Alternator light stay on today so it was time for an alternator swap. Since I am not up to doing the work, I had my cousin do it. If I had my choice, it would have been a 3G upgrade but alas we do not always get what we want! In any event, it had a coupon and is friends with the guy at Pep Boys (yeah, I am a REAL fan of their parts) and picked up the alternator. The specs say it is a 60 Amp Alt - I thought we had 65's but maybe my memory is failing?? Anyway, here are the numbers he got:

1) Battery with car off = 12.58
    2) Output at Battery with A/C off but lights on = 13.04
    3) Output at Battery with A/C on and lights on = 12.68

Is it me or are these numbers low? Would have liked to see the numbers with the lights off but that's what we got. It came with a new alternator connector so he swapped that as well. What do you guys think - am I good or do I need to storm Pep Boys with a Swat Team???

P.S. It is a "Prostart Reman Alternator.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Now you know why we are mileratistic about doing 3G swaps. The stock alternator is barely adequate to run the basics, let alone things like A/C AND lights at the same time.

Alex.

Comment

Agreed but when you can't do your own work you're stuck with what you can get. Need to know if these numbers are normal for THIS alternator or is there another issue.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

sounds a little low to me. It should be at least 13.5 at idle with no load, and I'd really like to see closer to 14. It will drop with load though. The idle output on these alternators pretty much sucks. Does it increase with some engine RPM ?

Check the charge cable at the alternator itself, and between the alternator and the fender. They melt sometimes. New alternators also usually come with a new connector, which you really sort of need to make sure it doesn't catch on fire.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Need to check it out WITHOUT the lights and also with some RPM's. Never checked the numbers on the old alternator before it went south. By the way, we didn't change the voltage regulator connector, just the alternator connector. Not sure if they go bad as well. Alternator light is off so maybe I am expecting too much??

Comment

My 88 was about that with the 2G. rev just to +200rpm and things got happier... get over 1K RPM and everything was fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X