Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's this for ? /now since CFI is gone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this for ? /now since CFI is gone.

Hello guys , My 85 crown Vic is finally ready, New carb, distributor ,sparkplugs,wires, fuel pump and regulator and starts up very good.. But now i'm wondering about these object's job's now since i replaced the CFI. I ordered the repair manual but it takes about 30 days in mail so.. i would very appreciate if u could tell me what they do so i can clean under my hood -- (See pictures)

Click image for larger version

Name:	10668359_10202296673211726_2072362317_n (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1302636Click image for larger version

Name:	10668726_10202296674091748_1379243520_n.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1302637Click image for larger version

Name:	10668778_10202296673971745_1505479236_n.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1302638

would be awsome if someone could tell me aswell overall what i can remove and can't. to make it look clean and simple underthere.. Thanks alot..
    --ingvi

Comment

That's a vacuum reservoir for something... even the later EFI cars have that. I don't remember what it's for exactly, but can find out later when I get home.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Its vac reservoir for the smog pump solenoids. It serves no purpose now if you have removed the vacuum lines to the solenoids.

The easy way to know what to remove is to start at the computer. Follow the harness along, and just remove everything that the computer harness plugs in to. You won't be left with a whole lot. Remove the whole harness in one big piece too, don't leave cut wires. It looks messy and makes it harder to work on later.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Ingvi-Vic84 View Post
          would be awsome if someone could tell me aswell overall what i can remove and can't. to make it look clean and simple underthere.. Thanks alot..
          --ingvi
          Photo 1 of 3: MAP sensor in front, vacuum switches behind. Not 100% sure what those switches serve, cold blower override perhaps?
          Photo 2 of 3: Vacuum reservoir for ??
          Photo 3 of 3: Vacuum switches for EGR and Thermactor system. If neither system is present on your engine now, remove and plug vacuum source if still connected to intake/vacuum tree.

EDIT: gadget beat me to it on Photo #2. I was pretty sure it was for the solenoids, but didn't want to mislead anyone.
          RyPow
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
          2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
          1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
          2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
          2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Okei thanks alot for your replys guys , what is Thermactor system ?

-- So i can basicly remove everything in the pics?

Comment

Throw it all away!

The thermactor system is what delivers air from the smog pump and routes it either to the cats or the head tube. Cars with carbs still use that, an EGR valve, and the fuel vapor purge - but all that was ECM controlled with CFI so unless you want to buy the carb specific sensors/solenoids and wire it all in, toss it. Just don't expect to pass any smog or visual emissions test!
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Someone told me that the thing im pointing @ on photo 3 is somthing for the transmission, vaccum or somthin. any truth in that ?

Comment

Nope... that might be a wire for the one solenoid connected to a little vacuum switch that feeds a tube that goes down the back/side of the engine, but that goes to a flapper valve in the exhaust, just past the manifold, which can be eliminated too.

Older U.S. cars had a vacuum line going to a shift solenoid on the transmission, but you should have an AOD transmission (unless maybe you got a Mexican car) that uses only the 'kickdown' cable attached to the throttle. It does make this cable all the more important, so be sure to make sure it is adjusted properly after the carb swap.
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yes thanks alot mate, and yep its aod.

Comment

i think i got the TV rod for the valve's on the trans adjusted okay, it goes up when its running idle and as far down as it can do on full throttle, that should be okay?

Comment

Oops, I called it a cable. I forgot CFI/carb cars use the rod

If you put a factory-style carb on, it's probably fine. The adjustment is a bit more precise than just making sure it moves in full range though.

If you don't have an oil pressure test gauge and the specs to test line pressure at the pressure port on the trans, most of us just adjust it up (tighter = more pressure and firmer shifts) until the up-shifts just start to feel firmer than 'normal' (normal like a grandma car). Too tight is much better than too loose (too loose can kill it quick) but much too tight will make it up-shift at too high rpm and downshift much too soon.
                        On the TV rod, the adjustment is at the transmission end, and I would scribe little notches on it for reference in case you loose its position while fooling with it, if you think you need to.
                        sigpic

Comment

Name:	10682025_10202297173224226_1921175405_n.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1276324

This spacer that's under my carb, what do i do with the water lines thats connected to it if i want to remove the sapcer and the egr valve ?

---

Name:	10699139_10202297175224276_219725321_n.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1276325

Comment

Thank you very much for the infomation on trans 85crownhpp! , I posted above a pic from under the hood, and im trying to sort out what i can remove, all point outs and tips/info will be very appreciated

Comment

You may not be able to remove the spacer. Its possible that it closes off a passage. You can just leave it and the EGR valve in place, but disconnect the lines and wires to it.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X