Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 83/84 police box 8.8 fit a 90 box??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will 83/84 police box 8.8 fit a 90 box??

Have the chance to buy a 83/84 police 8.8 with rear sway
    Bar will it fit my 90?
    Also anything else to get off this car?

If you are swapping the entire rear end it is a down grade. Older rears are an inch narrower. Sway bars interchange without any issues. You may have to bend the lower control arm lips down a bit to compensate for the bar. Probably have to drill holes for it to mount. I would take the hardware and especially the spacers that sit inside the control arm so you don't mangle your arms when tightening down the sway bar. You could also just grab the lower control arms. I heard they are thicker....

Anything else to get.....

Well... front sway bar, police gauges if equipt, the 140mph speedometer, clock delete plate, radio delete plate if it has em, and any coolers...ps, tranny and oil.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I thought the wider rear ends started in 92 when they went to the aero body style?

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

nOT SURE about wether they went wider in 90 or 91 like about 1 5/8 or so off the top of my head have exat measurements written down some were for each change. Its not in any way a down grade other than the rear itself might be fairly worn due to mileage.
        Lower front control arms are a bit stronger, uppers use metal instead of rubber bushings but if worn out there are no repair parts.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Can't get bushings for those front upper arms. Not worth the trouble IMO. Rear itself is not special unless it has a traction lock. I would swap that in along with the rear lower control arms sway bar and front bar. Cop rear drums are bigger too but disc are nicer yet. Save and install trans and PS coolers and the oil cooler if it has it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
            I thought the wider rear ends started in 92 when they went to the aero body style?
            Nope, 90'
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

narrower rear end and wider tires not that 1 5/8 matters haha
              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                narrower rear end and wider tires not that 1 5/8 matters haha
                All depnds on wheel offsets. Think I had a 91 PI rear and couldnt use it without buying new wheels for my 87 which wasnt an option. So put the 90 rear in Casper and put Caspers rear in Creamy.

Comment

ahh... the battle of inches. I know all about that... and so does my belt.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    ahh... the battle of inches.
                    That's what she said. heh.
                    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

and it's definitely an 8.8? When did they do away with the 8.5? My 82 was an 8.5
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I think 82 may have been the last year for the 8.5.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

hmmmmm. that makes me question mine... i have an 82 merc... i wonder if i have an 8.5
                          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Hum didnt know there was a 8.5 had a 7.5 in my 84 Mustang 5.0

Comment

it didn't hang on too long. Its the same housing and carrier as the 8.8, just a slightly smaller ring gear. Swap the R&P and you have an 8.8.

Comment

Working...
                              X