Couple questions on dimensions & parts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple questions on dimensions & parts.

As you know, I'm getting a new radiator installed. Link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-381431/overview/

I'm not sure which fan shroud to go with though. They have tons on Summit Racing. Here are just two links: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380328-sh
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su.../applications/
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Core width is a couple inches short of alligning with factory mounts which are about 28" not 26"
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
      Core width is a couple inches short of alligning with factory mounts which are about 28" not 26"
      I assume you're referring to the width? If so, should this guy work: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...7-sh/overview/

Cool. With your blessing, I'll order the shroud!
      Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 09-16-2014, 11:58 AM. Reason: Added some context

Comment

Core Width (in):26.000 in.
        Core Height (in):19.000 in.

that's the width you need to worry about for a shroud, so that shroud will not work. What turbo was referring to however was the fact that this radiator will not sit on the stock pads on the lower end of the radiator since the core width is 2 inches shy of the stock 28 inches. You will need to fabricate all brackets to hold the radiator in place or mount it shifted to the driver side to use those mounts and fab up the passenger side stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Another issue other thaan the factory mounts is the angled outlet on the drivers side. TRYiED ONE LIKE THAT AND a fabed up radiator hose was needed and interfered with steering box. Dont see a drain plug on it either.

For about 150 more can have more of a direct fit one like the one I designed for mine. A warnig most parts made for Summit I have ordered in the past were crap and sent them back.

Just what are you planning that needs more radiatior than a factory HD cooling 2 row aluminum radiator?
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            Core Width (in):26.000 in.
            Core Height (in):19.000 in.

that's the width you need to worry about for a shroud, so that shroud will not work. What turbo was referring to however was the fact that this radiator will not sit on the stock pads on the lower end of the radiator since the core width is 2 inches shy of the stock 28 inches. You will need to fabricate all brackets to hold the radiator in place or mount it shifted to the driver side to use those mounts and fab up the passenger side stuff.
            I'll put those dimensions in a notepad document. That way, I'll know what fan shroud to buy if/when I decide to put the new radiator in. I'll also include a note about needing custom mounting brackets+dimensions! Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
            Another issue other thaan the factory mounts is the angled outlet on the drivers side. TRYiED ONE LIKE THAT AND a fabed up radiator hose was needed and interfered with steering box. Dont see a drain plug on it either.

For about 150 more can have more of a direct fit one like the one I designed for mine. A warnig most parts made for Summit I have ordered in the past were crap and sent them back.

Just what are you planning that needs more radiatior than a factory HD cooling 2 row aluminum radiator?
            Talked to the shop yesterday- turns out all the radiator needed was a flush. The new Motorcraft theromostat helped a lot too. Cooling system is working great now. We'll run the stock radiator. turbo2256b is right. What was I planning on that needed more than already good stock radiator setup? Lots of hard driving. It's fun to hoon these cars. I just assumed that the stock radiator couldn't handle it. Now that I know that it's up to the task if properly maintained, I'll gladly stick with it.

I was an idiot for assuming that the radiator was defunct. I forgot the basic rule of troubleshooting and/or fixing stuff. Start with small, inexpensive stuff (a flush, + new t-stat in this case) before graduating to buying new parts. I was also an idiot for not researching all the stuff that goes along with a new radiator. There are so many little parts that have to work as a team for a cooling system to work. Fan shroud, mouting brackets, cooling lines, etc. And that stuff adds up fast.

Plans for Ebyt's build as of 9/18/2014:
            -Scheduled some transmission work. She goes in on Saturday. Stacked plate tranny cooler (definitely need this- I plan on running a hardened 1 piece input shaft down the road!), B&M racing converter, and a sticky valve fix are all on the agenda.

-3G install comes soon after- likely will just kill an afternoon with an electrician friend of mine and get it done.

-May go buy some more CVPI center caps if I have time between now and the 29th. If not, whatever.

-Major performance work begins on the 29th. EVERYTHING is going on. This means Digidash, Kenwood head unit, BBK long tubes, Denso 02 sensors, H-piped true duals. It's gonna be epic.

-May get the slicktop conversion finished before I park her for the winter. If not, it'll be the first thing I get done next summer.
            Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 09-18-2014, 03:37 PM. Reason: Added some context

Comment

Working...
            X