50K fluids change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50K fluids change

My new to me (only had her a couple of months) 2004 MGM GS is coming up on 50K miles. I want to replace the fluids.

Any recommendations for motor oil + tranny fluid? Also, should I mess with the rear differential? The car seems pretty tight with no apparent leaks and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

TIA

If the tranny fluid has never been serviced, do it. If it was serviced at 30K, wait until 60K. If you don't know... do it. As for oil, 5w20 should be written on the oil cap and is what should go in. Ford uses synthetic blend, I use pure synthetic, others use conventional. Use whatever you desire, just know that conventional will probably need the 3000K change (maybe as late as 5K, but no more than that) and synthetic can go from 5000-7500 miles typically. If you watch it and change it when it gets to be a dark brown (almost but not quite black) and mark your mileage... it should be right about where the recommendations fall in the manual for the type of driving you do. Either way, it ends up costing about the same for those of us that shop at WalMart for oil. The rear diff I would only service if it has a limited slip carrier. If it's conventional (open), just run it. Service at 90-100K unless you want to be perfect on your records... then service it as well. Supposed to be done every 30K with the trans.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Don't forget a Motorcraft oil filter.
      1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

+1 on the oil filter. The Motorcraft isn't much more than the cheapo Fram and is better quality.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X