Just tracked 351w Efi fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tracked 351w Efi fuel consumption

So this monster(details in sig) had been getting piss poor fuel mileage around town as mentioned in another economy thread...5-7mpg hardly ever getting over 45 and tons of stop and go....and a heavy right foot. Lol

My last road trip(before my Mad Max front air dam), I averaged 15.4mpg with 12-16 stops and a few small towns with 35 zones. 65-75% of driving done in the 55-75 range.

Today's road trip(with air dam) I averaged 16.7mpg...with about the same driving conditions...this time, I made a few jaunts up to 95mph and held 85mph for quite a few miles on open country roads.

Roughly 1.3mpg improvement with higher speeds...thank you crazy looking air dam!

BTW, driving around town is 9.7mpg when driving...not so heavy footed. Lol
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

something out of whack i would think!
    my 84 cvpi got 18 mpg combined

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

This 351 is a far cry from a 2bbl PI motor with 3.08's. Plus my aftermarket injection system has no timing control...running a duraspark style dist. with no vac advance. I think it's decent considering it's not being driven easy, I could have hypermilered the crap out of it and get better mileage, but I wanted a fair before and after evaluation of the effect, if any, of the air dam.
      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

3.42 with a hopped up 2100 for a 400

ok if you want to compare, my 78 cougar xr7 with 2.73' s and a crane econopower cam got 25 mpg highway with a holley 4bbl

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Wow, that's a huge increase! I'm a little surprised, but these things are bricks. I'd love to do something that had that kind of effect, but I don't really want the mad max styling quite yet lol.

I wonder what that, combined with lower it would do for fuel milage.

Are you able to tune the EFI a little leaner for cruising?
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I should have known that it wasn't stock! Lol. "Econopower" sounds really mild. I blame a big part of my mileage on the injection system, I'm curious to see what it does with factory style injection augmented with MAF conversion and an Anderson Ford PMS. It'll be awhile before I get around to that though....I have the parts, but am lacking time! Lol

Comment

262/272 duration iirc, i really liked that motor, the car ran 16.30 at like 87 mph

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                Wow, that's a huge increase! I'm a little surprised, but these things are bricks. I'd love to do something that had that kind of effect, but I don't really want the mad max styling quite yet lol.

I wonder what that, combined with lower it would do for fuel milage.

Are you able to tune the EFI a little leaner for cruising?
                I could if I hadn't fried the data circuit of the PCM...no longer communicates with the handheld, IIRC, I had the cruise A/F ratio set to 13.9:1 . Yeah not everybody is into Mad Max! Lol. My '88 will be MUCH more subtle. I plan to lower it first then it will be a more normal looking deal mounted under the bumper.
                Last edited by sick88tbird; 09-29-2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

13.9:1 is way too rich for any sort of economy. Bad for the converters too.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    13.9:1 is way too rich for any sort of economy. Bad for the converters too.
                    Cats are against my religion! Lol. I had previously tried leaner settings and it ran best at 13.9, especially when transitioning on and off the throttle. I'll never buy another "self learning" EFI system, looking forward to be able to tune individual cells with the Aderson Ford PMS unit once everything is transferred into my '88.

Comment

I live in a state that requires them, and I don't really want to replace them more than I absolutely have to. I don't need brakes or other working basic safety items, but it best have a working converter!
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I live in a state that requires them, and I don't really want to replace them more than I absolutely have to. I don't need brakes or other working basic safety items, but it best have a working converter!
                        Funny how that works, isn't it? I really want to take everything I've learned with this car and apply that knowledge to my 88 and build a corner carving, mountain conquering daily driver! Lol

Comment

I used to loathe cats as well back in teh day. Then I drove without them (open headers) for a couple months and that changed my attitude towards them. I still have a couple shirts that smell like hydrocarbons.

Packman

Comment

Raw exhaust is very unfriendly. Had I kept the Lincoln, I would have eventually put cats on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah I'm not over fond of the smell of raw exhaust either. My beef with them as pertaining to this state is they are considered more important than working brakes and tires with tread. I feel this to be fairly stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X