Fasten Seat Belt Light Does Not Turn On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked 91 EVTM (likely similar)

"Fasten Belts" indicator lamp has one side going to ground. The other side is wired to the warning chime.
    Therefore, a non-present or completely defective warning chime will cause no belt indicator functionality.
    The warning chime is a small plastic box (about the size of a computer mouse) with a connector shaped similar to the EEC-IV test connector. It is, in all box Panthers, to the left of the radio and down a bit.

The warning chime receives "hot in start" power via fuse #18 (10 amp) and "always hot" power via fuse 8 (10 amp) in a 1991.
    The switch inside the buckle is a separate input to the warning chime unit and does not directly connect to the bulb.

I will verify against my '83 EVTM later, but I expect the circuit is largely the same...
    Note that an '89 may be more similar to an '83 so take this as what you will I guess.

Edit: same in '83 except it appears not to have an "always hot" feed, so that's why there is no headlight chime, only seatbelt and door open with key in ('91 also has a headlamps on/door open trigger for the chime).

Edit again: hey look, I have chimes in my parts box! White or possibly blue are earlier years, black and a little bit smaller are newer years. Newer ones "bing" slightly faster than older ones. Plug-n-play compatible as far as I can tell, I have one from an '87 in my '83.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chimes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1276435
    Last edited by kishy; 09-30-2014, 08:16 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by Stocker View Post
      According to the dismantled buckle I have here, the circuit is closed when the seat belt is unbuckled.

The replacement buckle installed in my car has the connector cut off, but the light still comes on when I start the car.
      So that rules out my belt for the moment. My light doesn't come on ever. Even if I manually close the circuit on the seat belt connector with a jumper. And as you said, it should still come one even if the seat belt circuit is malfunctioning.

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
      Checked 91 EVTM (likely similar)

"Fasten Belts" indicator lamp has one side going to ground. The other side is wired to the warning chime.
      Therefore, a non-present or completely defective warning chime will cause no belt indicator functionality.
      The warning chime is a small plastic box (about the size of a computer mouse) with a connector shaped similar to the EEC-IV test connector. It is, in all box Panthers, to the left of the radio and down a bit.

The warning chime receives "hot in start" power via fuse #18 (10 amp) and "always hot" power via fuse 8 (10 amp) in a 1991.
      The switch inside the buckle is a separate input to the warning chime unit and does not directly connect to the bulb.

I will verify against my '83 EVTM later, but I expect the circuit is largely the same...
      Note that an '89 may be more similar to an '83 so take this as what you will I guess.

Edit: same in '83 except it appears not to have an "always hot" feed, so that's why there is no headlight chime, only seatbelt and door open with key in ('91 also has a headlamps on/door open trigger for the chime).

Edit again: hey look, I have chimes in my parts box! White or possibly blue are earlier years, black and a little bit smaller are newer years. Newer ones "bing" slightly faster than older ones. Plug-n-play compatible as far as I can tell, I have one from an '87 in my '83.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41051[/ATTACH]

Wow! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks all for the info!

So it looks like my seat belt itself probably isn't to blame, it's probably the chime unit. My car doesn't chime for anything at the moment so it looks like that's where I need to look. It wouldn't surprise me if the previous owner disconnected it or hacked up the wiring. (Like they did with other things).

Thanks again. I'll check out the chime box and let you all know how it goes.
      Last edited by slack; 10-01-2014, 02:54 AM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

mine never came on until i plugged in the chime box up under the ashtray area. after a couple days i wish i would have left it unplugged.
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Chime box is a bit of a pita to access. Up under neath the radio/climate control stuffs.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I re-installed mine after I found it in the trunk. A month or so later it went batshit crazy and kept going while I was driving. I had to listen to that SOB for an hour one night. I got where I was going, ripped the thing out, and its been gone ever since.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I recall you telling that story..It always give me a good laugh because I removed my soft dinger/chime and put in a buzzer from a Mustang. lol
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                I wish my seat belt light and chime didn't work. It's such a pain in the ass when I'm not actually driving.
                Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                There's a connector under the driver's seat. Disconnecting it may solve your problem. It also controls the automatic locking of the doors when shifting out of park.
                It worked! It looks like it's specific for the seat belt light and chime (considering that I had already disabled the autolock through the computer). The chime that comes on when you open the door with the lights on or the key in the ignition still works. Yippee!

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
                X