Fasten Seat Belt Light Does Not Turn On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fasten Seat Belt Light Does Not Turn On

Title says it all. The fasten seat belt light on my car's dash never turns on. ever. I tried swapping the bulb out with no luck. (The previous bulb's filament was still intact anyway).

Does anyone know how this wire runs? I'm assuming there's some sort of wire to the driver's seat belt latch but where it goes from there, I have no idea.

I saw this post on CVN from forever ago with someone having the same problem but there was no answer to why it was happening.
    http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...91#Post2632891

Thanks!
    -Erik

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Do you have your door dinger chime removed?

For some reason I'm remembering the functionality of those two things being very closely tied together in my '83, but I may be mistaken, I forget if the belt fastened is just an input or both input and output from the chime.

I'm not sure if this will be more similar to my '91 or my '83 in this case, I'm assuming '83 due to still having the old dash in '89...

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Hmm. That's a good point. On my '91 I disconnected the chime because it wouldn't stop chiming after it started malfunctioning. I don't remember if that messed with the seat belt light though. (91 dash is different)

Now that you mention it, on my '89... I don't have any door chime at all. (Or headlight chime!) maybe it's all connected like you said?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I wish my seat belt light and chime didn't work. It's such a pain in the ass when I'm not actually driving.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

There's a connector under the driver's seat. Disconnecting it may solve your problem. It also controls the automatic locking of the doors when shifting out of park.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I'll check that out. My car (and my previous 91 GM) never locked when I put the car in drive. I wonder if that's the issue....

Comment

I would have to assume that's a Lincoln thing only...there is no provision for sensing that the shift lever has been moved unless that functionality used the MLPS on the transmission.

Also no such functionality exists on either of my cars nor did the EVTM talk about it, and I have (rather depressingly) read it like a novel, front to back.

And my warning light works fine in both cars including the bulb check, as well as in the '83 sounding the door chime which is as designed (90-91 do not, also by design).

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                There's a connector under the driver's seat. Disconnecting it may solve your problem. It also controls the automatic locking of the doors when shifting out of park.
                Thanks for the tip. I never would've thought of that! There are actually programming procedures that can be done on my car to tell the computer to turn those functions off and on. The auto lock seems to be permanently off after doing this, but the seat belt chime seems to default to on when the battery is disconnected and reconnected. I'm not sure how the computer would feel about the connector being unplugged, but I guess it can't hurt to try.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

The door locking on shift is a Lincoln thing, specific to cars with the keyless entry option. Or at least it was so in the box era.

There are probably connectors unplugged somewhere on the seat belt catch that control that. Either that, or the car has decided you're smart enough to remember to buckle up anyway, your driving is sufficiently safe, or it hates you and itself and wants to end it all. One of these things is probably the answer.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My Dad's 93 GM had the "locking on shift" thing. My '95 probably has it too but I haven't seen it work. Went through the keyless entry setup but that didn't help. Maybe the connector is unplugged?? I'll have to take a look when I am up to it. Getting my head in the proper position to check it out is NOT a good thing for me!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                      My Dad's 93 GM had the "locking on shift" thing. My '95 probably has it too but I haven't seen it work. Went through the keyless entry setup but that didn't help. Maybe the connector is unplugged?? I'll have to take a look when I am up to it. Getting my head in the proper position to check it out is NOT a good thing for me!
                      My owner's manual provides both a keyless entry method and an internal method for activating/deactivating the auto lock feature. I'm not sure if they would work the same as yours, but here's the internal method (to be completed within 30 seconds):
                      1. turn ignition ON (presumably without starting car)
                      2. press door unlock three times
                      3. turn ignition OFF
                      4. press door unlock three times
                      5. turn ignition ON
                      6. press door unlock once; after 5-10 seconds the door will lock/unlock to confirm
                      7. turn ignition OFF

Hopefully this will save you some aggravation!

The procedure for the seat belt chime is similar but involves buckling and unbuckling the seat belt multiples times and turning the headlights on and off instead of turning the ignition off. What a PITA.

Comment

Have to give it a shot and see what happens.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                          My owner's manual provides both a keyless entry method and an internal method for activating/deactivating the auto lock feature. I'm not sure if they would work the same as yours, but here's the internal method (to be completed within 30 seconds):
                          Jeeze. It's like entering a cheat code in a video game!

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          There are probably connectors unplugged somewhere on the seat belt catch that control that. Either that, or the car has decided you're smart enough to remember to buckle up anyway, your driving is sufficiently safe, or it hates you and itself and wants to end it all. One of these things is probably the answer.
                          Connector under the seat is plugged in. I unplugged it with no difference. I jumped the connector and still nothing with the light. Is there a way to test the plug further than that?

Pic:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	seatbelt_plug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1276434

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                            ... Connector under the seat is plugged in. I unplugged it with no difference. I jumped the connector and still nothing with the light. Is there a way to test the plug further than that? ...
                            You could check the resistance with the seat belt buckled and unbuckled. The 'signal' from the seat belt might merely be a matter of having an open circuit when the seat belt is unbuckled and a closed circuit when the seat belt is buckled, or vice versa. Another option would be to follow the wires and see if there's a problem somewhere. Something to consider is that the prior owner might have deliberately disabled it somehow.

Comment

According to the dismantled buckle I have here, the circuit is closed when the seat belt is unbuckled.

The replacement buckle installed in my car has the connector cut off, but the light still comes on when I start the car.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                              1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                              1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Working...
                              X