Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension too stiff. Need Advice.

Hi All,

I've decided that my suspension is just too stiff. The roads here on LI are bumpy as holy hell and I feel every. single. bump. It's driving me nuts. I've gutted my whole suspension and everything has bee replaced within the past 11 months.

I'm thinking it's the KYB Gas-A-Justs I have in the front are just compounding the stiffness of the HD springs making things too much. I like a floaty ride but also I truck all my tools in my trunk so I need to be able to handle the weight in the back.

My current set up is:

Front:
    MOOG 8652 - Heavy Duty
    KYB Gas-A-Justs KG4515

Rear:
    MOOG CC817 - Variable Rate Springs
    MONROE 33128 - Rear Economy (needs to go, way too much bounce already)

Any suggestions on what to do?

I'm thinking I should start with swapping out the shocks again but I'm unsure on which ones.

Thanks!
    -Erik

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Too much bounce can be due to the fact the shocks are not stiff enough to slow down the reaction of stiffer springs.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I'd guess the HD springs on the front aren't helping.

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

+1 the HD springs. Put regular springs on and it'll be smoother.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmm.. it looks like the difference between the standard front springs and the HD in the front is only 59lbs/in.

HD Spring Rate (MOOG 5652): 433.00 lbs per inch
          Standard Spring Rate (MOOG 8656): 374.00 lbs per inch

The ride right now feels basically like a jackhammer. I've heard that complaint with the KYB Gas-A-Justs in multiple places. I haven't really heard that said about the HD coils on our cars though. (That's why I was leaning towards the shocks being too stiff).

Is anyone else currently running the HD coils and if so, what has your experience been with them?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Gabriel Ultra gives a nice smooth ride on my stock sprung rides... might try those.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I'd look into the factory shocks that go with those springs. Are the HD springs the same as the police spec springs? If so go with the PI/HD shocks. I got a set off Rock Auto really cheap, like just under $11 a shock, but I installed Monroe Monro-Matic shocks since I have old stock springs, didn't want too much shock for my springs.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

yeah... HD are supposed to be for police/taxi (aka fleet) vehicles. Which is why I'm thinking that combo of HD springs and performance shocks are gonna be rather bump unfriendly. civi springs and shocks will be a lot more float friendly.

Comment

Yeah but if he wants to keep his HD springs the HD shocks will be an improvement over the regular shocks. I couldn't give up the improved handling of the stiffer springs/shocks. Maybe if you install a rear sway bar at the same time that'd make up for it.
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I put some KYBs on the front of the 91 recently, they must have been GR2's because I swear they are softer than the old shocks I took off, one of which was leaking oil. It still controls the spring motion as well, but the initial give over lumpy stuff is more 'like a caddy'. I like it since it's the designated road trip car.
                    If I ever do the big brake swap on the 85, I definitely wont be using them though!
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The hd springs are hardly hd by my standards, swap out the front shocks to something more pedestrian and it should help soak up the bumps.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        yeah... HD are supposed to be for police/taxi (aka fleet) vehicles. Which is why I'm thinking that combo of HD springs and performance shocks are gonna be rather bump unfriendly. civi springs and shocks will be a lot more float friendly.
                        I don't see any springs listed specifically for police/taxi (like there are for the shocks). It looks like they're basically the same ratings as what the wagon gets up front.

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                        Yeah but if he wants to keep his HD springs the HD shocks will be an improvement over the regular shocks. I couldn't give up the improved handling of the stiffer springs/shocks. Maybe if you install a rear sway bar at the same time that'd make up for it.
                        PI rear sway bar should be going in this weekend if the weather holds out!

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        I put some KYBs on the front of the 91 recently, they must have been GR2's because I swear they are softer than the old shocks I took off, one of which was leaking oil. It still controls the spring motion as well, but the initial give over lumpy stuff is more 'like a caddy'. I like it since it's the designated road trip car.
                        If I ever do the big brake swap on the 85, I definitely wont be using them though!
                        Yeah, I don't think I'm going to with KYBs again. Thanks for the heads up about the GR2s. I saw they were the only other option from KYB for the car.

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                        The hd springs are hardly hd by my standards, swap out the front shocks to something more pedestrian and it should help soak up the bumps.

Alex.
                        That's what I was thinking. I searched some threads and saw some people were throwing 700+lb/in spring rates in the front. That I can see being excessively harsh.The HDs I have in there I figure should be firmer than stock by not harsh.

I think maybe I'll pick up a set of Gabriels like Sly suggested and give them a shot.

Thanks for the input so far!

Comment

Current ride height for reference:
                          Attached Files

Comment

if the load in the trunk is going to stay there all the time, you may want to put some load assist shocks in the rear (the ones with the springs on them) to help get the ass back up so you can get better mileage running down the road by not catching air under the car... and help out with not piling snow up under the car in the winter.

Comment

+1 for keeping the ass end up. From an aerodynamic perspective, it's supposed to be better to have a slight angle down from back to front, which they call a "rake".

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
                              X