Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok its been quite a while but the 347 - t5 swap is making progress!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a brand new 28 spline trac lok from Latemodel Restoration Supply, 10 years ago :S for $190 shipped to my house. Scott (Lincolnmania) installed it.

Never rebuilt one, and if I could find one cheap I'd rather replace than rebuild.

The lunch box lockers (fit in an open carrier) have mixed reviews. I haven't read much about them being used for cars and racing, primarily off road stuff. Seeing as you have a 5 spd, a locker might be okay. Depressing the clutch will unload the driveline and unlock the diff. Lockers can be a little lame in automatic cars, as its hard to fully unload the driveline (short of shifting to neutral). Parking lots and tight spaces are usually accompanied by tire hop and scuff.

A spool has no place on the street. None. If you put one in, budget for axles, a limited slip/ locking diff, carrier bearings, and additional gear oil and additive. If it doesn't break the axles, you'll hate it to the point where you'll end up going with a street drivable diff.

With a spool, the axles go through torsional wind up cycling all the time. If you don't know anything about machine parts design, EVERYTHING is life cycle limited. And if you're starting with 30 year old axles... good luck!
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

carrier in hand... it's not hard to rebuild the clutch packs. The S spring is the hardest part... and meh. Bring a brass hammer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Seriously, they are easy as can be to rebuild. Hell you can even do it with the carrier in the car if your feeling extra lazy. Much easier to pull it out though. Upgrade to the carbon fiber clutch pack if you want a little extra.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

That spring can be a real cocksucker. Skip the truck spring if you value your sanity. THe one that came with my last rebuild kit is still somewhere in Scott's garage after it shot out of the carrier for the 3rd or 4th time and vanished into oblivion.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i got the shifter situation figured out, i didn't want to spend close to 80 or more for a simple shifter stick from a market apparently monopolized by hurst, so i found an extension and a knob and a nice boot kit for a total of 54.00, i just have to screw the boot to the floor yet, i put it on before i started work today, lol. the boot kit was nice because the trim ring was already contoured to the shape of the trans tunnel for a nice fit!

Click image for larger version

Name:	extender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1278425

Click image for larger version

Name:	knob.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1278426

Comment

Cool! Is that a metal knob? Thay can be a little warm in the summer...AMHIK....
              Last edited by mitymerc; 11-07-2015, 07:56 PM. Reason: Speeling

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

yea its a metal knob, its the only reasonably priced one i could find with a set screw to keep it from spinning that looked decent

Comment

It still is cool. I'd love to put a TKO in the blue car, but it is fundagely impossible @ this time...
                  Last edited by mitymerc; 11-08-2015, 07:58 PM. Reason: Speeling

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick52284 View Post
                    i got the shifter situation figured out, i didn't want to spend close to 80 or more for a simple shifter stick from a market apparently monopolized by hurst, so i found an extension and a knob and a nice boot kit for a total of 54.00, i just have to screw the boot to the floor yet, i put it on before i started work today, lol. the boot kit was nice because the trim ring was already contoured to the shape of the trans tunnel for a nice fit!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43924[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43925[/ATTACH]
                    Back in early 70s roomed with a friend thats dad was an engineer for Hurst. I needed a different shifter for my Super Shifter II as under acceleratio I WAS AFRAID OF MISSING THIRD GEAR. His dad couldnt even get me a discont as emploies were only allowed 1 a year. Think the shift arm was 75 or 80 back then
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

just a small update! this project is far from dead, lol, management position has been taking A LOT of my time but rest assured this project is still moving along, right now the car is at a local speed shop that mainly deals with mustang drag cars, Spring Street Performance, they are going over the engine, tweaking and dialing it in, they are re-jetting the carb and then they are going to dyno-tune it for me, right now i have rear end parts in my various carts, i'm thinking 3.90 would be a fun ratio, would my pinion flange be a 30 spline by chance? i couldn't find the info on how many splines the factory pinion flange is. i can't wait to get her back and post some smokey burnout vids!

Nick

Comment

stock pinion flange should be the same spline as a stock mustang gt of the late 80s. I think it is 30.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

cool, thanks! the car did sit for a little while but i did put some miles on it when i could, i was just doing some research and i think i might go with c-clip eliminators as well, just to be safe, either that or jump on the rear disc swap, i just want to be safe should i break something or lose a c-clip if i get feisty, lol

Nick

Comment

I think what you really want is a 31 spline limo rear. Maybe C-clip elimnate that, but fatter axles wouldn't hurt you much.
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well, i found a good used 28 spline trac lock for 129, a 3.90 gear set with master installation kit (all bearings, shims seals etc.. for 230, for a total of 372 with shipping, or if someone has a good bolt-in 31 spline rear they wanna sell for 2-250 i can go that route as well

Nick

Comment

shop junkyards for 90s Towncar limos. 31 spline 3.55 traction lock rear

Comment

Working...
                                X