Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok its been quite a while but the 347 - t5 swap is making progress!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i have time i'll call around the local yards to see what they get for a rear diff with disc brakes, if i wanted to remove and replace the entire unit what vehicles should i go after that have the same setup? i've also bee throwing around the idea of making a lateral stabilizer for the rear with some chebby parts, the older suburbans and tahoe's had them, something to cut down the side to side motion.

Comment

Up to 1997 is a basically straight swap, though its possible you will need to change the flange. The later rears used a larger drive shaft flange. Probably not a bad idea to switch to the later aluminum fat shaft though if yours is stock length. If thats not practical, swap the flange from yours if the later one doesn't have both sets of holes drilled already.

90s Towncar limos have the 31 spline. Those are drum brake stock, but easily converted to disc.

One nice thing about the disc is if you lose a C clip or shear an axle, the rotor will mostly keep the wheel in place. BTDT with a bearing failure.

I'm also quite keen on a panhard bar rig for my car. Interested to see what you may come up with there. Even with new poly bushings the back end lateral location is not amazing.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
        Has anyone actually grenaded a rear on here for reasons potentially related to only being 28 spline?
        I had one where the axles were twisting, luckily a friend noticed it while I had it apart.

I have blown two. I don't believe it was due to 28 splines though.

One where the pin bolt broke, it bent the cross pin, destroyed the gears & ripped the cover open.

The other broke a maincap, broke the cross pin into 3 pieces & wrecked the center section.

It now has a cover w/maincap support on the new housing. I hope to repack the clutches before ScottFest. Picked up an F-150 S spring for it today.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

oh have fun putting that in. After fighting with it for an hour and eventually having it launch across the shop into the land of Nod, we gave up on that on my car. Its overly tight anyway with the 8 clutches. Doesn't need more spring.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 I have the 8-carbon clutch pack they sell to mustang cobra guys in my vic. It likes to chirp the tires around corners, but power sliding the beast is pretty easy (wet weather) with that solid two wheel spin action.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the rest of the fittings came in yesterday, now if it would just stop friggin raining i'll get out there and git r done!!!! ever since i brought the damn car home, every time i have free time it rains

Comment

Got all the wiring done, gotta make it look nicer and put everything back together, hooked everything up and made sure there was no leaks and started the engine, only let it run for a few seconds once i adjusted the timing, i gotta use the timing light tomorrow and dial it in. other than that it sounds awesome and i can't wait to burn these rotted old tires off after i follow the cam break in procedure and change the oil SHE'S ALIVE!!!!

if you want to hear what a 347 stroker sounds like from the drivers seat of a grand marquis, check the video out

Facebook
                https://video.fphl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/...ff&oe=55A204E0

Youtube

Click image for larger version

Name:	guages.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1277940

Name:	mess.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1277941

Name:	pump and sender wired.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1277942

Name:	tach.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1277943

Name:	wiring mess.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1277944

Name:	wiring nightmare.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1277945
                Last edited by Nick52284; 07-12-2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Shiny!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Cool. Are the gauges staying there, or is that just a temporary thing until its all sorted and tucked?

Comment

Sounds wicked.

Hope you get to cruise in it shortly.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i might just chop the plate that they are mounted to, finish the "box" and carpet the wood, i'm not sure yet, i was going to put them on the passenger side but i don't want to cut the dash up, i gotta dial in the timing with a light yet, break the cam in and change the oil, i might have to adjust the valves as well, its hard to tell till i get it running without any issues, i will say when it does idle it sounds friggin sweet with that cam its like 95 and humid as hell today, i might wait till a cooler day comes along, us fatties have a hard time with heat and humidity, lol. i'm sure my neighbors fully enjoy the sound of an open exhaust as well, lol

Comment

another video from yesterday sorry the view was blocked by mom, lol, its mainly for sound anyway

Last edited by Nick52284; 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM.

Comment

no one interested anymore?

Comment

interested... happened to forget about it as I loaded it when I couldn't watch the video.

Waiting for another update... like driving or something.

Comment

Fully break in the 500 miles before really beating on it, it can harm the life of the engine.

...Ask me how I know.
                                __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X