Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello!

Hello all!

The name is Ashley and I'm a newbie to this site. I heard about this site through the boyfriend and fellow forum member DerekTheGreat and thought that I'd join in on the fun.

I am the very proud owner of a 1989 Lincoln Town Car with 88k miles on the clock!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140330_134556881_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1302669

A little about me:
    I'm very interested in all things cars and love scourging the junkyards on weekends and learning all I can about them. I have a love of the classics and there isn't a car I'd rather have. Give me something old any day of the week!
    DerekTheGreat can attest to my inexperience with vehicles. Just ask him about the wrench/ratchet issue we had back when I knew nothing.
    I've learned how to do a lot of vehicle maintenance and some vehicle repairs in the past year and am anxious to learn more as time progresses. To me, there is nothing better than fixing something that just isn't quite right and getting it to run as smooth as possible.

My Current Issue:
    I'm having an issue when starting my car, both when it's from a cold start and when it's already warmed up. 9 out of 10 times when I go to start her up, I have to hold it for roughly 5 seconds before it will finally start up.
    Anyone out there have any takes on what could be causing this as well potential solutions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ashley
    1989 Lincoln Town Car

Welcome to the site!

Your issue may be a bad TFI module. I had a bad one on my car and it caused similar problems. They're one of the weaker links in the ignition system

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Welcome!

Any error codes?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Welcome, AshleyTheGreat!

TFI module eh? Cool, where's that at? We can swap hers with mine and see if there's a change.

Her light came on once for about 8 minutes after she started it so we could check to see if it stored the code. Her throttle also has a dead spot in it, most noticeable when slowing down and the car shifts from overdrive to third, say around 30 mph. You put your foot into it and there's almost no power. It will then start to go after a minute or so, or you put your foot down farther to cause it to shift to second, but then it wants to go like a hobo after a free sandwich. She's had the injectors cleaned, new fuel filter, trans was rebuilt, new plugs, wires and cap. Made no difference... What gives?

Thanks!

Derek
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

TFI is mounted on the dizzy. Need to put the proper compound on the connector before you re-install and a special tool to get to the "bolt" that makes it A LOT easier to remove it.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Welcome. Good luck with your ride.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hmm ok, maybe we'll just get her a junkyard piece lol. What kind of compound and tool do I need to take it off?
              Thanks,
              Derek

Comment

OEM TFI's are best. Many folks have had issues with aftermarket ones. One from a JY may be just as screwed as yours (if yours is) so better to test with a new one. If it is not the issue, leave it on as the old one will go eventually. This type of tool will work and can be gotten at many stores:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...fi-Module-Tool

The Ford manuals say to use silicone dielectric compound, but thermal paste (heat sink compound) would also work fine. Many Ford tech claim the dielectric stuff doesn't last long enough and use the heat sink compound (available from computer stores, etc...). It goes on the "prongs" where the TFI contacts the dizzy.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Research is showing to go with the thermal paste! If I am incorrect, I trust someone will point it out.

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes!. MiamiBob-that is a very sharp car you have. Digging the two door status and the color!

And thanks for the suggestions-I'm anxious to try these out to see if we can't fix her up and get her running smooth.
                    Last edited by AshleyTheGreat; 10-01-2014, 08:27 PM.
                    1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Good luck on your car and all future repairs! By the way, it may be difficult to tell from the photo's angle but it is a 4-door 1987 Grand Marquis in Dark Clove Metallic.

Comment

MiamiBob, I must be blind today. Still a very beautiful car!
                        1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Thanks! I've had it from brand new.

Comment

Thanks a lot miamibob! Damn helpful, you even went out of your way to find a link to the tool. My car fires right up and does not have the hesitation or dead spot issue so I was thinking we'd swap mine to hers and if that fixes it then we know what the issue is.. If that's not it what else should we check?
                            Thanks again,
                            Derek

Comment

That's awesome! They definitely don't make them like they used to.
                              1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Working...
                              X