• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
    Welcome! You're going to learn a lot from this site
    I've been quoted! Cool.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Do you need a special TFI removal tool? Depends. Are you removing the dizzy or trying to remove the TFI with the dizzy in? If the later, I'd get the tool. For $10 or so, why bust your ass when not required?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Thanks!

To us, there isn't really a time when it's too cold for junkyard runs. We were out there in the blizzard like conditions last December stealing a few minutes refuge in a car to regain feeling back in our hands and feet. Some of the best times I've ever had. Lol.
        That'd be awesome to do a joint venture. It's always cool to see what other people are into and what gets their attention on the JY.

Derek can attest that I wasn't a car gal either but the interest I had to learn made all the difference.
        1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
          Welcome! You're going to learn a lot from this site
          I'm looking forward to it! I've spent hours already just trolling around the site reading up on just about everything.
          1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by AshleyTheGreat View Post
            Derek can attest that I wasn't a car gal either but the interest I had to learn made all the difference.
            You are now, and you're the only gal I know who would willing buy and drive a "big car" like your Lincoln.

Bob,
            You made a good point, we'll buy the tool lol

Comment

Originally posted by AshleyTheGreat View Post
              Thanks!

To us, there isn't really a time when it's too cold for junkyard runs. We were out there in the blizzard like conditions last December stealing a few minutes refuge in a car to regain feeling back in our hands and feet. Some of the best times I've ever had. Lol.
              That'd be awesome to do a joint venture. It's always cool to see what other people are into and what gets their attention on the JY.

I wouldn't mind going in the cold, especially if there is something that I really want/need to find. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I work at my old job 8+ hours a day outdoors on weekends, and probably will do it again this year, so I'm not actually opposed to going out in the cold.

Next time I have a chance to make it out to the yards I'll check and see if anyone else here wants to join, I know we have a few members in this area.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

if you want to remove or mount the TFI at all, you'll need the Ford OEM tool. It makes things sooooooooo much easier... and it's pretty cheap too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Update on the TFI swap!

Derek and I hit up a few junkyards this past Saturday and found a TFI module to swap out in my Lincoln. Based on how many cars we looked at before we found a module, or a dizzy for that matter, it seems to us that this was a common problem. Having the tool definitely came in handy and made quick work once we got the dizzy out. He swapped the modules out yesterday I and I can already tell the difference as I didn't have to crank it as much this morning.

Thanks for all the help!
                  1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

^^ What she said! Thanks for help & suggestions. Car does seem to be more consistant, doesn't fire right up like mine does but starts up a lot sooner than it did.

Can't believe the distributer has to come out for that though. I haven't messed with one of those in over ten years. Check engine light still pops on so we'll have it scanned to see what the fuss is there. Anyway, while I was there I noticed she's got coolant leaking from the intake manifold gasket. Doesn't seem real bad and it's not getting in the oil but now that's something else that will have to be done. I'm not that mechanically inclined so that will need to be farmed out lol.

Thanks again,
                    Derek

Comment

Where is the coolant leak coming from? If it's the back of the engine, it could be the EGR cooler line that plugs in back there.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Welcome. Those hubcaps are glorious.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                        1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                        88 CVLX
                        01 Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                          Where is the coolant leak coming from? If it's the back of the engine, it could be the EGR cooler line that plugs in back there.
                          and if it's the front, it could just be the thermostat gasket. (For me, it was coolant pooling on the driver's side timing cover). The post I linked earlier with the TFI module I replaced stemming from the thermostat replacement ended up being my leak issue recently. No surprise that that much RTV didn't hold up very long. That said, i thought it was my intake manifold and it wasn't. If it's leaking externally, a pressure test or one of those UV dies might help pinpoint it.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                            and if it's the front, it could just be the thermostat gasket. (For me, it was coolant pooling on the driver's side timing cover). The post I linked earlier with the TFI module I replaced stemming from the thermostat replacement ended up being my leak issue recently. No surprise that that much RTV didn't hold up very long. That said, i thought it was my intake manifold and it wasn't. If it's leaking externally, a pressure test or one of those UV dies might help pinpoint it.
                            I didn't give it a very long look but appeared to be running down from where the intake meets up with the cylinder head. I looked near the thermostat housing only because that was in the way of the TFI module but it could very well be coming from there. If that's the case it will be an easier and cheaper repair. Hasn't leaked a whole lot but stuff like that only gets worse. Speaking of getting worse, Ashley reports that the car is back to it's old ways again. So either the module (which was an aftermarket one picked from a yard) we put in went bad or it's something else entirely. When I was driving it around I noticed her car isn't as "punchy" off the line like mine is. My Townie will actually put you in the seat a bit whereas hers goes like it's a four banger. Perhaps it's suffering from low compression in one or more of the cylinders? Idles & cruises at speed like mine and even gets the same MPG so I haven't the foggiest at this point. What say you guys?

piranah,
                            Those are actual wire wheels my man I hate Townies with those crappy wire hub caps lol.

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

piranah,
                              Those are actual wire wheels my man I hate Townies with those crappy wire hub caps lol.

Derek
                              What kind are they? Been looking for some bolt ons for mine.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                              1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                              88 CVLX
                              01 Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by piranah View Post
                                What kind are they? Been looking for some bolt ons for mine.
                                According to all of the literature I've seen they're factory issue. They look good on her car but I'm a bigger fan of the turbine spoke(what my townie has) or lacy spoke wheels. It seems cars equipped with the ASC carriage roof often had these wire wheels.

Nice '90 by the way. I'd like one of those simply for the fact they've got full air ride & ABS plus they still have a 5.0. Want to trade? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X