Auto Door Lock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Door Lock Question

IIRC the '95 GM's have the "auto lock" function when you step on the brake and shift into Drive. Tried the Owner's Manual procedure and one that was listed here (a few days ago) to no avail. When putting it into Drive I hear the "click" but the locks never lock. Got to do it manually. Not a big deal but since the function is there I'd like to see if I can get it to work!

P.S. The only electrical connector I see under the driver's seat is the one for the motor.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

iirc from my old 93 it is programmable to either lock at 5mph or not lock at all. So just putting it in gear might not do anything. I don't have the manuals anymore.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Never heard of that possibility. My Dad's (a '93 GM) would auto lock as soon as you applied the brake and shifted into Drive.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

From what I remember, my 96 locked when shifted into drive. Supposed to be user programmable through the keypad or with a series of switch pushes.
        Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
        Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
        Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
        Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
          From what I remember, my 96 locked when shifted into drive. Supposed to be user programmable through the keypad or with a series of switch pushes.
          That's the idea from the Owner's manual but it didn't work.

Comment

personally I'd be glad it doesn't do that. I shut that off on the Mark VII. If I feel that I need to lock myself into the car to be safe going somewhere, I don't need to go there.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Auto Door Lock Question

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              That's the idea from the Owner's manual but it didn't work.
              Are you sure you used your factory code, not the user set one?
              1. Enter FACTORY code
              2. Hold down 7/8
              3. Press 3/4 (while still holding 7/8)
              4. Release 7/8

There is no confirmation for the feature being turned either on, or off. Just get in, turn the ignition to on, and shift to drive, the locks should lock automatically. If you hear the locks trying to cycle but they won't cycle, something else if wrong. Maybe a wire is crossed or shorted.
              Last edited by AmuletOfNight; 10-06-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AmuletOfNight View Post
                Are you sure you used your factory code, not the user set one?
                1. Enter FACTORY code
                2. Hold down 7/8
                3. Press 3/4 (while still holding 7/8)
                4. Release 7/8

There is no confirmation for the feature being turned either on, or off. Just get in, turn the ignition to on, and shift to drive, the locks should lock automatically. If you hear the locks trying to cycle but they won't cycle, something else if wrong. Maybe a wire is crossed or shorted.
                That's what is happening - SOUNDS like it is working but the locks don't actually lock!

Comment

Auto Door Lock Question

That's what is happening - SOUNDS like it is working but the locks don't actually lock!
                  When you press the power door lock button to lock the doors, what happens?

If the locks work correctly, when cycling the locks inside the car, cycle them up and down with the remote.

If they were that way also, unlock all your doors, step out of the car, close all the doors and press 7/8 and 9/0 on the door keypad at the same time, do the doors lock?

If all the doors lock then...I can't imagine what's wrong. If the locks fail to lock on the last set of attempts to lock the doors (with the keypad), my best guess would be either a faulty keyless entry module (most likely) that is not sending the correct signals to the door locks (or no signal at all) or a broken wire. Does it sound like the locks are trying to go UP when you shift to drive? Lock all your doors and shift to drive, and see what happens.

Comment

When using any door lock button, from inside the car, they ALL work. I can lock and unlock any and all lock from the remote. Door lock function correctly in EVERY manner EXCEPT when shifting into Drive.

Comment

When using any door lock button, from inside the car, they ALL work. I can lock and unlock any and all lock from the remote. Door lock function correctly in EVERY manner EXCEPT when shifting into Drive.
                      I have no idea how it actually works, but I wonder if maybe there is a mechanical part that is worn and causing only enough signal to be sent to make a sound but not actually activate the locking mechanism.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                        I have no idea how it actually works, but I wonder if maybe there is a mechanical part that is worn and causing only enough signal to be sent to make a sound but not actually activate the locking mechanism.
                        Interesting theory but they work under every other scenario. Could still be a possibility. Wonder what actually activates this function? Have to see what shows up in my electrical schematics...

Comment

Interesting theory but they work under every other scenario. Could still be a possibility. Wonder what actually activates this function? Have to see what shows up in my electrical schematics...
                          I'm figuring there might be a part that is mechanically connected to the shifter. I wonder if there are any steering column experts who could chime in.

Something I thought of was whether the sound disappears after you go through the process of disabling the auto lock function. If it does, that should narrow things down.

Another thought was maybe leaving the battery disconnected for awhile to reset the computer, but I doubt it would be that kind of glitch.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Yeah, if and when I figure out the process, that may help in narrowing down the possible issues. I think the sound of the locks TRYING to lock is what is throwing me off, especially since they work correctly every other way!

Comment

I can get an electrical schematic from AllData tomorrow morning if somebody hasn't chimed in with one. Let's see if we can narrow down what exactly is causing this. Very very odd.

Comment

Working...
                              X