No announcement yet.

Auto Door Lock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to vaguely recall some type of autolock relay on the box models that would occasionally take a shit. I'm not sure what type of setup the aeros use to accomplish it.
    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by AmuletOfNight View Post
      I can get an electrical schematic from AllData tomorrow morning if somebody hasn't chimed in with one. Let's see if we can narrow down what exactly is causing this. Very very odd.
      Sounds good! I'll also check and see what I can come up with.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

It looks to me that the power door lock module controls just about everything involving not only the door locks, but also is responsible for features such as panic and trunk lid release (according to the diagrams, anyways). According to the diagram, the module is linked up to the "Transmission Range Sensor", it is a distinct possibility that maybe this transmission range sensor has either failed or become disconnected/wire is broken.

This transmission range sensor controls things such as when reverse lights come on and also seems to play a role in determining what gear the car is in when starting (neutral safety switch). Can you start the car in any position other than Park or Neutral? Do your reverse lights work? If so, it's very possible that the wire running to just to the module has come undone, which would certainly cause something like this.

There is also the possibility of the sensor in the drivers seat being broken, as the module has to pick up on someone in the drivers seat (a heavy weight) to initiate the locking of the doors. It may be possible that this sensor has failed or become disconnected and it is no longer registering anyone in the drivers seat.

Here are the electrical diagrams for the Power Door Lock Control Module

Click image for larger version

Name:	ACE - 61.png
Views:	1
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	1276474

Name:	ACE - 62.png
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	1276475

Name:	ACE - 63.png
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1276476

the Power Door Lock Control Module can be found in the center of the drivers door, take a look at this diagram for it's location

Name:	ACE - 71.png
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	1276477

Finally, it may be worth looking at the Transmission Range Sensor and it's wiring. It's kind of in an awkward place, but it is located on the left hand side of the transmission. You can see it's location in this diagram:

Name:	ACE - 81.png
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	1276478

And here are the wires (and testing procedures) for the transmission range sensor:

Name:	ACE - 01.png
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1276479
        Last edited by AmuletOfNight; 10-07-2014, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AmuletOfNight View Post
          It looks to me that the power door lock module controls just about everything involving not only the door locks, but also is responsible for features such as panic and trunk lid release (according to the diagrams, anyways). According to the diagram, the module is linked up to the "Transmission Range Sensor", it is a distinct possibility that maybe this transmission range sensor has either failed or become disconnected/wire is broken.

This transmission range sensor controls things such as when reverse lights come on and also seems to play a role in determining what gear the car is in when starting (neutral safety switch). Can you start the car in any position other than Park or Neutral? Do your reverse lights work? If so, it's very possible that the wire running to just to the module has come undone, which would certainly cause something like this.

There is also the possibility of the sensor in the drivers seat being broken, as the module has to pick up on someone in the drivers seat (a heavy weight) to initiate the locking of the doors. It may be possible that this sensor has failed or become disconnected and it is no longer registering anyone in the drivers seat.

Here are the electrical diagrams for the Power Door Lock Control Module

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41102[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41103[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41104[/ATTACH]

the Power Door Lock Control Module can be found in the center of the drivers door, take a look at this diagram for it's location

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41105[/ATTACH]

Finally, it may be worth looking at the Transmission Range Sensor and it's wiring. It's kind of in an awkward place, but it is located on the left hand side of the transmission. You can see it's location in this diagram:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41106[/ATTACH]

And here are the wires (and testing procedures) for the transmission range sensor:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41107[/ATTACH]
          Fas as I know (but need to verify) the backup lights work. In addition, the car ONLY starts in Park and Neutral. Now, a sensor in the seat....could be interesting. It is under the seat or in the back? I would guess it is under but don't recall seeing anything like that (unless it is IN the seat). The really interesting part is that you hear the door lock actuators "click" but they don't move when shifting into Drive but function correctly for every other function. It's HAS to be something to do with this option only!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

By the way, MANY thanks for the diagrams!!!

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              Fas as I know (but need to verify) the backup lights work. In addition, the car ONLY starts in Park and Neutral. Now, a sensor in the seat....could be interesting. It is under the seat or in the back? I would guess it is under but don't recall seeing anything like that (unless it is IN the seat). The really interesting part is that you hear the door lock actuators "click" but they don't move when shifting into Drive but function correctly for every other function. It's HAS to be something to do with this option only!
              My guess is that if your car only starts when in park or neutral, the sensor has probably not failed (unless it has only failed on the "Overdrive" circuit), and your reverse lights more than likely work, bringing us back to either the sensor in the seat or the power door lock module (drivers door). I do believe the switch is INSIDE the seat, so you would more than likely have to find a way to take the seat apart to check the switch (way too much work unless you have too much time on your hands). All the wiring that goes to the seat not only connects the weight sensor, but also the motor and switches for the power seat. If this switch were to fail, it could fail in either direction I suppose (if it failed closed and somehow your car got shifted to drive by say a child, your car would lock all the doors and it would be on a runaway trip! So be thankful for the switch!).

My second best guess would be the module itself failing to send the correct signal. Maybe you can get a module from a junkyard and try the feature? I would actually try to determine if you have a bad module first (swap it out for a known good one).
              Last edited by AmuletOfNight; 10-07-2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Wonder what the module is called and where it is located?

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                  Wonder what the module is called and where it is located?
                  It is the Power Door Lock Control Module, and it is located in the center of the left hand front door, just like in the diagram.

Comment

Guess it is different than the Keyless Control Module also in the door (in the lower right hand side)?

Comment

Yes, they are two different modules.

Comment

Gotta see if and where I can locate one.

Comment

Working...
                        X