Transmission pan leaking RTV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
    I have a Chilton's for 89-98 Crown Vic/Grand Marq that says 107-119 in-lbs, which apparently converts to 9-10 ft-lbs. An online source said 10 ft-lbs. ...
    Curiously, I have a Haynes for 88-00 Crown Vic/Grand Marq that says 12-16 ft-lbs. Hmmm.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

weird.... I will double check, but it is a redish fluid coming from the passenger side of the tranny pani guess it might be form the back and come its way to the front, who knows.

But I will double check my torque setting , but I will not push it past 12ft-lbs!!
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Trans pans are a pain in the ass to make not leak. The pan in the Mark VII used to be dry. I used a cork gasket, and apparently so much RTV that the pan would not come loose. We had to use a pry bar to get it to let go. Damn thing did not leak though. The new and improved fiber gasket has a slight drip. RTV and rubber is usually not needed, and generally not advised. I don;t know that it eats the rubber, I frankly can't see how it would, it just doesn't seem to bond well and it creates paths for leakage as a result. Rubber gaskets work very well when installed per the destructions that are usually included with the box.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          ... it just doesn't seem to bond well and it creates paths for leakage as a result. ...
          I would think there would be enough pressure to prevent any passage of fluid even if the RTV was not bonded to the rubber. Hypothetically, if one put a rubber gasket between thin layers of cured RTV, there would seem to be no reason for it to leak. I suppose if one uses only a dab to hold the gasket in place, there might possibly be a large enough space at the boundary between the RTV and the rubber for fluid to get out, but I doubt it. But, like I said, I'm no expert.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I used a rubber gasket and RTV on my '67's oil pan. No leaks.
            Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
            Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
            Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
            Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

If you drive it, it won't leak. Its when they sit that they leak.

Comment

Following torque specs has squished the rubber gasket out and split it 3 times for me so far. Learned my lesson. I do the bolts up until the gasket starts to try to squish out and call it good.

Cork may be more tolerant of the stock torque specs, but I know the rubber sure isn't.

Take a close look, check to see if this might have happened.
                Last edited by kishy; 10-08-2014, 11:09 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

i don't remember if I used the black rtv stuff for oth sides of the gasket.

That ticks me off

I kinda wanna use more to be safe, but if I add too much more I might get goobs of rtv globbing the tranny!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

yeahi know, its when it sits when it starts leaking, figures.

well i will have to take a better look at it when I do my front end, it may have split....

What the disadvantage sof cork, i might go that route

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                      Following torque specs has squished the rubber gasket out and split it 3 times for me so far. Learned my lesson. I do the bolts up until the gasket starts to try to squish out and call it good. ...
                      That kind of aggravation is one of the reasons why I prefer the suck and fill method. If the pan is fine, and there's no reason to believe the filter is clogged, then it seems best to leave things be.

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                      i don't remember if I used the black rtv stuff for oth sides of the gasket.

That ticks me off

I kinda wanna use more to be safe, but if I add too much more I might get goobs of rtv globbing the tranny!
                      I wouldn't use RTV with a rubber gasket if I could help it, but if I did, I'd try to keep the bead on the outer side of the gasket to increase the chance that it will ooze outward rather than inward. Anything that separated internally would presumably get trapped by the filter, and it would probably take a lot to cause flow problems, but minimizing potential problems is always a good idea.

Comment

I see, true, I don't know, I figured by going with the Rubber gasket, it would be a better quality.

Suck and fill method?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                          Following torque specs has squished the rubber gasket out and split it 3 times for me so far. Learned my lesson. I do the bolts up until the gasket starts to try to squish out and call it good.

Cork may be more tolerant of the stock torque specs, but I know the rubber sure isn't.

Take a close look, check to see if this might have happened.
                          Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                          That kind of aggravation is one of the reasons why I prefer the suck and fill method. If the pan is fine, and there's no reason to believe the filter is clogged, then it seems best to leave things be.
                          Should add, I do RTV my gaskets. Pan drops are such a pain working overhead on your back that I don't want to have to re-drop the pan.

My rules of thumb are pretty simple...if it's a gasket, it gets Ultra Copper'd (even if black high oil resistance is the better choice sometimes) and if it's got threads it gets anti-seize. Has worked well so far.

However, in this case, the RTV may act as a lubricant while still wet which encourages my squish-and-split issue...YMMV. That being said, 4 pan drops between the two cars and no leaks after they were bolted back together, but one of them almost did. Gasket split halfway through and would have been a massive fluid loss if it split the rest of the way.
                          Last edited by kishy; 10-08-2014, 02:01 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                          | 88 TC | 91 GM
                          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

Well, I will confirm the troque amount and based on that I will have to drop the pan to inspect the pan itself and see if the gasket was stretched/split

Im curious about this suck and fill method though?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                              ... Suck and fill method?
                              That's where you put a clean plastic tube down the dipstick tube and use a hand pump to suck out most of the old fluid in the pan. Then fill with fresh stuff (after also draining the torque converter if able). I'm not sure how big of a deal the filter is. I think they're intended for larger particles and debris that normal transmissions would not have. I saw somewhere that even Ford recommends not bothering with the tranny filter.

Comment

interesting. Looks as though I will have to use this method if I am dropping the pan to reinspect it and the gasket

If it gets to this point, what better, rubber or cork gaskets?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X