Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A simple frozen Smog Pump question...

Greetings!

So... Smog Pump on my '87 Grand Marquis froze up. (While it was running, which was an interesting experience.) I pulled off the belt, so no AC, but at least it drives now.

The question is this: Can I run it like this for a while before I fix it, or will that put the catalytic converter at risk? I'm thinking it'll be fine, but I don't want to create a more expensive repair for myself...

And I'm still in CA, so leaving the smog pump out of the system is not an option for me.

No problem. The pump bypasses after a few minutes anyway.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

run it. I ran my car a few days with it bypassed (and a shorter belt on so the AC would run) before I ripped all that crap off the car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It will not hurt the cat.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but is there an easy way to get that stuff out?

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
          1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
          88 CVLX
          01 Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by piranah View Post
            Not to hijack the thread, but is there an easy way to get that stuff out?
            Unbolt it, put bolts in the back of the cylinder heads, weld the passage on the downpipes shut. Done.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

fyi: a distributor wrench works great to get that damn crossover pipe off the back of the heads.

I took mine off, cut it up to leave just the mounting slugs... turned around and coated with ultra copper rtv and bolted back in place to cover the ports. This is also an option if you don't wanna deal with sourcing the bolts that fit those ports.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

whats the belt size for just bypassing the smog pump, not the ac?

Previously:
                88 CVLX
                01 Marquis

Comment

560k6 IIRC. and a 565k6 would probably be easier to install.

Comment

you don't want it too long or the halves will touch at the tensioner. I've had fine luck with the 560, though you may have to remove the back bolt on the tensioner to get it on, and then re-install it.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Quackling View Post
                      The question is this: Can I run it like this for a while before I fix it, or will that put the catalytic converter at risk? I'm thinking it'll be fine, but I don't want to create a more expensive repair for myself...

And I'm still in CA, so leaving the smog pump out of the system is not an option for me.
                      Just leave the belt off for now. Probably don't need a/c this time of year, unless you're in socal, and sure don't need the smog pump until it's inspection time. I took mine off when the belt was shot, didn't feel too much difference but it felt like it revved a tiny bit easier, and gets a bit better mileage.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                        Just leave the belt off for now. Probably don't need a/c this time of year, unless you're in socal, and sure don't need the smog pump until it's inspection time. I took mine off when the belt was shot, didn't feel too much difference but it felt like it revved a tiny bit easier, and gets a bit better mileage.

Wont that cause the ac compressor to lock up from not turning?

Previously:
                        88 CVLX
                        01 Marquis

Comment

If you were to leave it for a long time, maybe. For a few months, it won't hurt anything. I left mine off for almost a year, put a new belt on and it ran as well as it did before. If you're worried about it, turn it by hand every once in a while, maybe spray it with WD-40.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

not a short term concern.

I would not use WD40 though, or any other oil. If it gets into the clutch bearing, it will wash out the grease in there and then you've got bigger problems. The oil also won't be good for the clutch material. The compressor itself has oil in it already.

Comment

so i can just take that dang belt off? Its squealing like a pig right now.

Previously:
                              88 CVLX
                              01 Marquis

Comment

Working...
                              X