Mounting 1DIN head units in early boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting 1DIN head units in early boxes

This has been kinda-sorta addressed in the past, but not really in a whole lot of detail...or, in photos that have ceased to exist in threads.

My 1983 Grand Marquis has probably the completely basest of base model stereos:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	83radio.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1302676

I have acquired the faceplate trim of a newer box to properly fit a 1-DIN stereo once mounted:

Name:	83radiotrimstock.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1302678 Click image for larger version

Name:	83radiowithnewertrim.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1302679

The problem I'm running into is that there is no real way to mount a radio in this hole that doesn't have appropriate brackets. I picked up a set of the factory Ford ones that adapt a Ford 1-DIN radio to mount in the same location with the same spaced screw holes, but there is no real way to mount them to my new stereo...

Kits such as this...

Name:	radiokit.JPG
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1302680
    ...are not "supposed" to be used for "mounting" the radio, e.g. the weight of the unit is supposed to be supported elsewhere.

What solutions are people using to actually support the weight of the head unit? If there was a straightforward way to reuse the giant metal hook thing on the bottom of the stock radio it would be awesome, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Name:	83radioopening.jpg
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1302677

Any input is appreciated...

Also, as an aside, this system is common ground, but the grounds for the speakers are separate up to the radio itself. The connector on the radio is what bridges them together.
    Last edited by kishy; 10-08-2014, 10:58 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

I think most installers use a piece of 'plumbers tape' in this situation - it's thin/flexible yet somewhat sturdy metal strapping with holes in it. It might be tricky since you might have to do it with the unit installed - but most aftermarket units have a stud on the back you can attach one end of the 'tape' to, and find any good spot above or below to attach the other end to something.
    I don't think I did this, and yeah, CD's skip over bigger bumps, lol....
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

How about taking the front plate off the old radio and figuring out a way to mount the new one in it? Cutting the right size opening would probably be a bit of a pain, but ...

A lot of head units have the thin metal cages that you stick in the dash. Do you have one of those? If you do, figuring out a way to attach that to the front plate of the old radio would seem to solve the problem.

I just saw 85crownHPP's post. One possibility for the strapping would be to find a way to install a piece horizontally in the opening so that when you insert the head unit, its ass end will rest on the strapping.
      Last edited by IPreferDIY; 10-08-2014, 12:33 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I like all suggestions given so far. I prefer a "clean" install, not a hack, but sometimes you've gotta work with what you've got I suppose.

Reusing the metal plate was part of my goals in getting the mounting hardware for later 80s radios. They are in fact the exact same mounts (2 holes spaced the same for screws with a male centering peg) but screw into the side of the Ford radio. The problem is there is no way to put corresponding holes on my Pioneer unit to mount it that way, even with the metal cage.

Hmm. Decisions decisions.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

I just reused the original bottom metal bracket that mounts to the back of the radio. That holds the majority of the weight allowing for the front bracket to just align it all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Most of the head units I've seen have bolt holes on each side at the front. If yours has such holes, would you be able to drill holes in the side plates/brackets in the kit that's shown in the fourth photo?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

The original rear bracket is probably the cleanest, but honestly mine has been hanging from that plastic adapter mount for 10 years now without any problems.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I used the original back bracket and fabbed up an aluminum panel that the sleeve of the new radio attached to. I then screwed that right into the dash utilizing the provided holes. Sturdy as can be.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I somehow totally overlooked the fact that the rear-mount large friction mount thing, whatever you want to call it, was removable! That, combined with one of the pieces from Metra kit 99-5700, got the job done (for completeness if someone finds this through Google: the wiring kit for the base model radio is Metra 70-1772).

Name:	83radiowithpioneer.jpg
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1276503 Click image for larger version

Name:	83pioneermountstud.jpg
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1276500 Click image for larger version

Name:	83pioneerinmounts.jpg
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1276499

Mission accomplished GMN!

Name:	83radioinstalled.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1276501 Click image for larger version

Name:	83dashwithradio.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1276497 Click image for larger version

Name:	83radioinstalledwithface.jpg
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	1276502

FYI this is what I had been trying to make before:

Name:	83failednewradiomount.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1276498

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Comment

yup... that's EXACTLY how my Kenwood is mounted in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X