1985 CV - A Canadian 2bbl 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
    Nice. looks like a good mild streetable upgrade.
    Yeah, I figure it will do the trick for what I want the motor to do.

In other news, I visited the old girl in storage yesterday. I reconnected the battery and started her up. Didn't take much, but the carb was dry so it took a few attempts to get enough fuel pumped into her. Once she had enough to get going she started up without any hesitation, sputtering or false hopes. Just roared to life. I love her so.

I adjusted the carb a bit too, as the high idle was rather low. Took forever for her to warm up though. Five minutes after her running and I could still touch the exhaust manifold with my bare hands. It was a stupid test though, in retrospect. I'll throw a few drops of water on it next time.

Still have exhaust burbles and ticks, so that should get addressed this year. Just need to buy some bolts and gaskets. Already have the Lincoln logs. I have a line on an exhaust off of a grand marq at a local recycler. H-pipe and ends. Looks like it has some resonators on the ends of them too. Hopefully it's a decent enough system to swap on. I haven't actually been able to look under the car yet. Cross your fingers!

I'm going to wait for the new custom system once I have the engine swap complete in a few years. No sense in doing it until then. The 351w will get some shorty headers (I'm getting them from my wife's uncle) and the rest will be built fresh. That's the plan anyway.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

The car came home last weekend. Started up with little protest once fuel was present in the carb. I sprayed some carb cleaner into the vent and revved it through, made a huge difference to how she sounds (for the better). I haven't driven it since though, so I'm not sure how the clean affected driveability.

I also am prepping for the Lincoln log swap. I have my gaskets and bolts. I even got some good plugs for the old O2 sensor holes (since my car doesn't know what a sensor is). Here is one "installed":

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160423_172909868.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1280034

Name:	IMG_20160423_172916952.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1280035

And the part number on the bag for those who want to get the same thing/are curious:

Name:	IMG_20160423_173232484.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1280036

Next step is to get the old flange studs out of the manifold and insert the new ones. Then comes the chore of getting the old bolts and studs out of the block and swapping in the new parts. Can't wait for all my upcoming rust filled adventures.

A side note:

What the heck is the proper name for the heat gathering thing that pipes into the snorkel through that foil flex tube? Mine is rough and crumbly, so rather that reinstall it over top of my new exhaust manifolds I would like to source a new one (or at least a better one). Cheers!
      ************************************************** ******************************
      1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Lincoln logs look good. What'd you put on them?

I think you are referring to what I call a heat shield - it attaches around the exhaust manifold and the aluminum tube attaches to that? In VA it's warm enough to run without that. Many of the valves in the snorkel that switch over to cool air are not functional any more anyway.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The heat stove. Yeah you kinda want that for proper warm-ups in the winter with a carb. Not sure if you can get one, but it wouldn't be that hard for a sheet metal shop to make one. Its just some light gauge sheet bent up into a box with a hose outlet on it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Go to scrap yards and look for GM TBI equipped stuff, like third gen Fireturds/Camaros and trucks from '87-95. Chances are you'll get lucky and find one that will work. I think the diameter is universal. Our GMC has one of those and it's pretty flexible/durable despite having been off 20+ times for random dickery.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thanks guys! I may or may not replace it. It will never be driven in the winter... and to be honest I wont know what kind of shape it's in until I take it off... though it is being held onto the manifold by wire, so I'm not convinced it will be all too salvageable (unless this is typical?). That beings said, if it is, I'll just blast it with some rust converter and some high temp paint and be about my business.

The Lincoln logs came to me painted that way. Got them from a member here.

Comment

Ok, I know she's for sale and all, but I can't help but work on her a little (and if no one can pony up the (unreasonable) amount of cash I'm looking for then I'm going to keep her). I gave her a bath and finally took out the black eyes. Our local Wal-Mart sells these headlights, so I'm going to grab a couple tomorrow or so.

Name:	IMG_20160508_112814896.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1280123

Name:	IMG_20160508_112837812.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1280124

Comment

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
                  ...I gave her a bath and finally took out the black eyes...
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

New high beams installed on Sunday. Will post pics later for proof.

She's still for sale too if anyone is interested.

Comment

Sold pending payment

Comment

She's gone. New home will be a better place for her. She'll be driven regularly and loved deeply. It's sad to even type this. I'll miss the car, but I know it's better for her to be on the road rather than sit and potentially waste away waiting for me to have the time to do all of the things I had planned for her. I put too much work into getting the car up to where it is now to just have it sit around and have me redo all of it a few years from now. Not fair to me or the car.

I guess the book is closed on this thread. As soon as I get another Panther I'll start a new one.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions, assisted with work I've done and helped plan for work that never happened. It's communities like this and helpful family members that make if possible for guys like me (read: no mechanical experience) to even think about dabbling in this sort of thing. It's been a great experience so far and I'm thankful to all of you.

I still have some parts around that I was planning on using for the engine swap, so the dream isn't totally dead, just not on the cards for this particular car. I'll keep lurking around and comment where I feel I can be productive to the conversation.

TTFN

Comment

Congrats on the sale.
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Glad it found another good home. Find something soon so you have an excuse to hang around

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                              Congrats on the sale.
                              Thanks, but I think it would be more appropriate to say condolences on the sale.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                                Glad it found another good home. Find something soon so you have an excuse to hang around
                                Well I'll hang around as a wannabe for a while. There's a sweet '79 MGM 2 door for sale in the KW area. Looks pretty nice, but a little costy. I'll post it in my cars in Ontario thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X