1985 CV - A Canadian 2bbl 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice CV!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

After some advice from the fine folks on the forum, my game plan for next summer is just to get her on the road, do the dual exhaust setup and take care of the rust spots. I'll collect performance stuff as time/budget permits and either install them on the current motor or rebuild a new (to me) motor. Either way, it's going to be awesome. I love the Vic and I can't wait to get her on the road next year.
      ************************************************** ******************************
      1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
      1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
      http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Did some more investigating and my car isn't as amazing as I thought. Did the rear wheel turn test, def not a limited slip. I still haven't checked about the transmission cooler yet. Oh, and my trunk release button stopped working I still love her though!!
        ************************************************** ******************************
        1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
          My trunk release button stopped working.
          If you can still open the trunk manually, don't worry.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Turns out it was just me being stupid and forgetting that the ignition tumbler has to be in the electronic stuff on position for the trunk popper to work. Not so much for the gas door popper... which is the reason I think I got freaked out.

Anyways, sorry one and all for the false alarm.

Enjoying my humble pie. It has whipped cream on it.

Comment

Turns out it was just me being stupid and forgetting that the ignition tumbler has to be in the electronic stuff on position for the trunk popper to work. Not so much for the gas door popper... which is the reason I think I got freaked out.

Anyways, sorry one and all for the false alarm.

Enjoying my humble pie. It has whipped cream on it.
              Nom nom nom.

In other news, since when was there a fuel door popper? My '89 doesn't have that! Perhaps it was a one year only and/or obscure option or something?
              Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 10-13-2014, 11:48 PM. Reason: Added some context
              '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
              '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
              '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

user error... nothing to see here

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  user error... nothing to see here
                  Haha, yeah. Move along people!

Comment

Bought some lincoln logs from a forum member! They're being shipped as we speak. Looking forward to seeing them, though I will have to smuggle them across the border once they arrive at the package place in MI. And by smuggle, I mean declare and pay the $13 duty on them if they bother to collect.

In other news, the car is going away for the winter this weekend, along with our VW. I'll miss her, but I will appreciate having the space freed up in the garage to hide the daily drivers from the snow.

Comment

Logs are here! I would have posted pics, but my wife hid them until Christmas. She so nutty! They look pretty top notch! Thanks, Pete!

Comment

In other news, the car is going away for the winter this weekend, along with our VW. I'll miss her, but I will appreciate having the space freed up in the garage to hide the daily drivers from the snow.
                        Oh man, I feel your pain. I parked my '89 for the winter two weeks ago. I'm thinking it was a little early.... the driveway is eerily clear and open now. But it's necessary. Gotta preserve the minty goodness!

Good to hear your parts are trickling in too- lame duck periods are really parts ordering periods in disguise. It's always nice being able to hit the ground running with a build, as opposed to having to wait for parts to arrive.
                        '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                        '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                        '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                          Oh man, I feel your pain. I parked my '89 for the winter two weeks ago. I'm thinking it was a little early.... the driveway is eerily clear and open now. But it's necessary. Gotta preserve the minty goodness!

Good to hear your parts are trickling in too- lame duck periods are really parts ordering periods in disguise. It's always nice being able to hit the ground running with a build, as opposed to having to wait for parts to arrive.
                          The closer I look at the car, the less minty goodness I see. Don't get me wrong, she's solid and everyone else says so too. Just get close to a project and start listing out all the things I want to do and then all I can focus on are the flaws. Once I get her on the road though it will be better, because then I can enjoy the car AND work on it! Just wish I had more time and money... sigh.

Comment

Latest news on the old land barge. Took her out of winter storage, got her insured, safetied, plated. Went to drive her home and the car wouldn't shift. Turns out the bushing on the kickdown rod was MIA. No sign of it. Ordered a couple from the local Ford dealer (have to order them in two's because they make more money that way, I guess), did the install and now she shifts like a dream! (I'll post pics soon)

Lately, found she likes to stall out at low speeds, in reverse and there's rhythmic surging in the idle. Thought the fuel filter was probably up for replacement. Did that piece and still had the problems. Then discovered that the fuel pump was leaking at the seam that connects the bottom part to the top. Bought a new one of those and completed the install this morning but couldn't get the fuel line to thread into the new pump. Sonovafish!

Anyway, I posted a thread in the Box Tech if anyone wants to share some wisdom with me. I'm so pissed off about it... i just want to drive my car!!

Comment

What's the latest?
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

If you've squared away your fuel delivery issues and verified you don't have any vacuum leaks I'd either rebuild that carb or spring for an Edelbrock performer 4 bbl manifold and Holley carb, 525 cfm would probably be a solid choice. Go with vacuum secondaries. When I was having idle quality issues with my Plymouth I took the carb apart, cleaned out the air bleeds, idle and main jet circuits plus put a new accelerator pump on it, made sure everything was the way Holley intended it to be and now its smooth as butter.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X