Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 CV 302 Heads

Hi everyone!

I have a 1985 CV with a 302 and a 2bbl carb (some Canada cars got carbs instead of CFI I guess). The heads are stock and I think they are leaking a little bit from where they attach to the block. I suppose this means I will be doing a gasket replacement in the future. As such, I was thinking of either replacing the heads with E7s or GT40p's or something else... unless the stock heads can be modified. Either way I'm paying machine shop bills, so I'm just seeing if it makes sense to play around with what she's already got or to go on to something else. Also, what cam would work well to give me some more go? I will be adding a 4bbl and new intake as well to this combo, so any advice should keep that in mind.

Also, already have 3.55 gears and trak loc. Will also be converting back to a dual exhaust.

Ultimate goal here is to have a car that I can feel accelerate... nothing crazy, just a mild, pushed back into my seat feeling. Or for you numbers folks an 8ish second or faster 0-60 mph.

Thanks in advance! Also, sorry if this stuff has been covered over and over again on this forum... I have done some searches and I'm having a hard time finding advice that fits my particular car. I may also just be bad at searching on the forum... I will learn, I promise!

Cheers!
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Well if you're willing to pay machine shop labor go ahead and get some used gt40's for another hundred or so...especially if you're adding a carb/intake............some people will argue to get alum. heads but even used ones may need work and new ones are almost double what the shop bill could be..........all in all i wouldnt waste my time on e7's or any "stock" head besides 40's if i were in your position..........
    Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

If the 85 block is roller compatible, get rid of the stock cam and go roller cam. If you want the better flowing heads and 4bbl, I'd get a HO cam to make full use of the extra air. The Cobra cam is good, makes great low end as well but I don't know when it runs out of steam. I think with your 3.55 gears it'll have enough low end and it'll pull hard past 2000rpm. Get a set of shorty headers and do a full exhaust too. And make sure you've got a strong valvetrain so it won't float at 4000-5000rpm.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

i'd buy a low mile engine from a 5.0 powered 96-01 explorer/mountaineer

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Gt40s and good tires will get you <8 seconds, assuming you open up the exhaust a bit and/or swap to a 4 barrel Carb.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            i'd buy a low mile engine from a 5.0 powered 96-01 explorer/mountaineer
            And change the valve springs lol.... .........seriously though, the exploder swap is another good option........
            Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

yeah the stock Exploder valve springs blow. They make for a very effective rev limiter though. The motor will just stop going by the time you get to about 5k.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guys for your input! I'm not big on doing an engine swap, since I like the idea of beefing up what I have. Plus it's the car's original motor and it would be cool to keep using it.

If I was going to go GT40s or GT40p (thinking of going with the p's since they seem to be more widely available and cheaper) what cam/spring combo would be a good match?

Also, if anyone has lincoln logs hanging around that they're eagre to get rid of, send me a shout out!
                ************************************************** ******************************
                1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

You'll want to pull the engine out to do the work. If you're going to swap heads and add a 4bbl, you'll need a bigger cam to utilize the extra flow, and that's not gonna be fun to do leaned over the fender for a weekend or longer. Plus you can clean out the engine bay with the engine pulled out, and it'll be less difficult to mount a transmission cooler that you'll need, with the engine out.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                    You'll want to pull the engine out to do the work. If you're going to swap heads and add a 4bbl, you'll need a bigger cam to utilize the extra flow, and that's not gonna be fun to do leaned over the fender for a weekend or longer. Plus you can clean out the engine bay with the engine pulled out, and it'll be less difficult to mount a transmission cooler that you'll need, with the engine out.
                    I was afraid of that! I'll have to weigh my options then. If I'm pulling the motor, I might buy another engine to work on and just get this one on the road so I can enjoy it.

I think the car may have a transmission cooler already installed. I have to get underneath to find out, but from what people are telling me the tow package came with a cooler. Is it inadequate for the mods I'm considering?

Comment

If you have a tow package then yeah that cooler should be fine. You don't have to pull the engine but it'll be a lot easier to swap the cam if you do. If you leave the stock cam in it, the heads and 4bbl won't do much, not like what you'd expect. If the engine doesn't have too high mileage and run fine, go ahead and keep the stock engine. It could be at 150k miles and still have that much left in it if it was taken care of.

Comment

I have a sweetheart of a cam/lifter/valve spring combo for what your doing. It's a flat tappet Crane that spent about 6k miles in my 351w. Smooth idle, works with the stock converter and is very strong in bottom end and mid range...with a 4bbl, it should run strong up to 5000-5500rpm. A Holley 570 street avenger series carb should be perfect for your use. PM me if you want any more info about the cam.

Good luck!
                        -Don
                        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                          If you have a tow package then yeah that cooler should be fine. You don't have to pull the engine but it'll be a lot easier to swap the cam if you do. If you leave the stock cam in it, the heads and 4bbl won't do much, not like what you'd expect. If the engine doesn't have too high mileage and run fine, go ahead and keep the stock engine. It could be at 150k miles and still have that much left in it if it was taken care of.
                          The engine has just over 100k miles (168,xxxkm). She's running pretty awesome, especially considering how much she's been sitting in the last decade. Of course, that's all just driving her in and out of the barns and garages. I have no clue how she is on the road! Hopefully I'll be able to safety her in the spring and stretch the old girl's legs out.

I'm certainly onboard with doing a cam swap... if it does stay in the car, I imagine I would have to remove the grille, rad, etc. to get enough access to the front of the motor. Either way it's a ton of work!

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                            I have a sweetheart of a cam/lifter/valve spring combo for what your doing. It's a flat tappet Crane that spent about 6k miles in my 351w. Smooth idle, works with the stock converter and is very strong in bottom end and mid range...with a 4bbl, it should run strong up to 5000-5500rpm. A Holley 570 street avenger series carb should be perfect for your use. PM me if you want any more info about the cam.

Good luck!
                            -Don
                            Cool! PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                            X