help! windshield fogs horribly at the drop of a hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help! windshield fogs horribly at the drop of a hat

not sure what the problem is... but it is getting so bad my wife wants to get rid of the car before winter sets in (as she's driving it mostly these days).

as temps cool, or esp. during rain, the windshield fogs up crazily -- i'm talking condensation so bad you have to keep wiping it down to even try to see out the glass! the defroster doesn't seem to help, no matter the temp setting.

i thought, in fact, the defroster was causing the problem, as when the system is "off" there is still air coming up thru the ducts. as it starts to fog it starts in the pattern at the bottom of the glass above the ducts. looking at the stickies here, it sounds like the default "no vacuum" setting does in fact go to the defroster duct.

i'm not entirely convinced there isn't something wrong with the system (see my recent posts), but everything seems to work for the most part -- floor and defroster settings blow.

any suggestions? i do have a dash mat on there, but it's got cutouts for the defroster obviously and is velcroed down in place.

any insight appreciated. thank you in advance!

It could be a door in the plenum that is broken and doesn't shut/seal properly. Another issue could be a weak blower motor. That was the issue I had with mine, and swapping in a new blower motor (and fixing the frayed wiring) got rid of the issue for the most part.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Is the inside (and outside) of the windshield good and squeaky clean? Sometimes it's as simple as that. Try some rainX anti-fog treatment too before getting rid of the car!
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I might be somewhat off base, but I would suggest giving some thought to the heater core. I would think a heater core issue would be more obvious than what you describe, but I suppose there's a chance that just the right kind of leak could show up differently than what I experienced (i.e. a periodic white fog whose timing was presumably correlated with the thermostat opening up).

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

+1 clean window
          +infinity check the heater core for leaks (pull up the carpet at the firewall on the passenger side and see if it's wet with coolant.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

+1 clean window
            +infinity check the heater core for leaks (pull up the carpet at the firewall on the passenger side and see if it's wet with coolant).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I put money on the heater core leaking.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                A likely suspect! Mine did just about the same till I bypassed it.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  A likely suspect! Mine did just about the same till I bypassed it.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

+1 on checking the heater core.
                    And stop dropping your hat.
                    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does the A/C work? If it doesn't work, having the defrost on won't do jack, and will make matters worse if it's raining.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                        Does the A/C work? If it doesn't work, having the defrost on won't do jack, and will make matters worse if it's raining.
                        interesting... AC does not work. so assume the AC dehumidifies the air? but wouldn't hot air be dry enough? plenty of cars on the road w/o AC.

i pulled the carpet on passenger side and didn't see anything noticeably damp. however, i do seem to have a leak *somewhere* since the coolant level drops over time. hmmmm.

in any event, i did just go out and buy some "rain X".

i'll have to dig deeper this weekend -- suspect i'll be tearing apart the dash after all (unless it really is the AC issue, in which case i'm out of luck -- estimates of over a $1200 to convert to the new system).

thanks, all.

Comment

the AC dries the air, yes. Defrost works without it, but it works better if the AC works, especially when its warmer out and you don't want to bake yourself out of the car. Set to cold with no AC, it does squat. It also obviously does squat until the car warms up enough to make heat.

The heater cores seldom leak to the point where the carpet gets wet. It doesn't take much to steam the window though. If it got that sweet smell going on, thats a big clue that the core has given up.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            If it got that sweet smell going on, thats a big clue that the core has given up.
                            ah ha! sweet smell, yes...
                            but heat still seems to work?
                            core replaceable from junkyard, or chances are most are bad?
                            PITA to swap?
                            thanks!

Comment

Heat could still work if the core is leaking but still flowing coolant through it.

I would go with a new core instead of a junk yard one.

Yes, as far as I know it's a PITA to swap. There's a few good write ups on this site though that should help you get an idea of what's involved.

Edit: Here's one: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Core-Write-Up

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X