88 GM Box Upgrades. Heads, Cam, Exaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read a lot on here, don't post much. I'm not sure if this should go into the readers rides section or not, just thought I'd throw up some of the things I'm working on this month with my 88 Grand Marquis.

Heads: I have a set of E7 heads at the machine shop right now getting checked and surfaced and I've ordered a set of roller rockers to install when I get them back.

Cam: This is the cam grind I plan on going with. It is the HO firing order. http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1655&gid=254 There is shop here in Tacoma, WA. "Delta Cams" that will grind to what ever specs, for the roller lifter cams its $95.

Exhaust: My current stock exhausts muffler is all but rotted completely out. From what I've read, Mustang shorty headers and H pipe will work so I've ordered these 2.5" components, headers: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-9430-p50 and H-Pipe: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bbk-1507. I just have to decide on mufflers and if I want to do turn downs in front of the rear tires or jump over the axle and back.

On top of these I will get a Mark VII ECU to keep my cruise control and I have a set of 19# injectors to finish off the HO route (sans throttle body), although I was thinking about heading back to the junkyard to see about 24# injectors but I don't know if they are necessary or not.

during the head and cam install I will also delete my smog pump, and try and find some electric fans to delete the metal fan and clutch.

Any tips, opinions, heads ups or this will not works are welcome and appreciated!

-Andrew
    Last edited by andrew_mccaffrey; 10-10-2014, 05:33 AM. Reason: Fix Hyperlinks
    Andrew

You are definitely going to want the HO upper intake and TB to go with all this...! The difference in HO vs stock panther is like tennis ball vs racket ball.

You will also need to have your stock EGR spacer bored to match, the mustang one needs some rigging to attach the throttle cables. The throttle lever will need to be swapped too.

The 19# injectors will do, the 24# will be too much without a re-tune of the ECM.

A lot of our cars have run funny with anything but a HO cam (explorer cam for instance) and usually need a MAF conversion before they run right. I'd ask your cam guy of his grinds will work with speed density systems (that use only the MAP sensor).

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

As Pete said, anything more than a HO cam usually needs a Mass Air swap.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks for the advice! Do you guys know if the aftermarket throttle bodies need the same EGR modifications? I would assume so because they're probably made for mustangs.
        Andrew

Comment

Deleted double post
          Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_mccaffrey View Post
            Thanks for the advice! Do you guys know if the aftermarket throttle bodies need the same EGR modifications? I would assume so because they're probably made for mustangs.
            Throttle body is completely separate from the EGR.
            Any non panther throttle body will need the arm swapped.

Are you planning on HO upper, or Explorer upper and lower?
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I hadn't planned for that yet. I checked for HO throttle bodies at the junkyard, none that I could find here. So I was debating just buying a summit TB. I misunderstood about the EGR spacer, I was under the impression that the EGR itself needed to be modified, but I get it now. Need to bore out the air passage in the EGR spacer to match the TB.

Is it possible to bore out the intake instead of picking up a HO Intake?

I'll have to read up more on switching to a maf sensor, the lunati website I thought said the cam grind would work with the EFI system, so I assumed it would be ok with the speed density system.
              Andrew

Comment

The EGR spacer needs to be bored out so its not the choke point

The money you'd spend porting that stock intake is waaaay more than a stock HO upper would cost you. The lower is the same. If nobody on here has an HO upper to sell you, poke around on Corral or Craigslist or something. Some Mustang guy must be unloading stock parts for cheap. They don't want those things anymore. We only upgrade to them because what we start with is so much crappier.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

*looks at HiFiMerc and his stash of 4... yes... 4 HO uppers*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

LOL, Only two are HO's. The other two are Lopo uppers. And I might use the one HO throttle body if I can't figure out why the Exploder one keeps whistling at me. Like, all the time.

And one of those is is all ready to go for my dad's '91.
                    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

if it whistles... it's probably leaking somewhere.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

there is something with the throttle blade shape that can cause this too. if the air bleed hole is the giant one, it may be the problem. I remember installing one on a car and it wouldn't idle down, and it whistled. We finally figured out that the air bleed hole in the blade was too big. I think we fixed it with a pop rivet. Idle and noise went away.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've plugged that with my finger while it was running, no change. Plugged the IAC hole, no change. Still whistles. Could be because there is a beveled edge on the EGR spacer for the transition from bigger TB to smaller EGR spacer. Like Sly said, it's probably leaking. I'll pull it apart some time and re-gasket it. If nothing fixes it, I'll mod the other HO TB and put it on. That's why I'm not unloading it just yet.
                          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I know this has been covered here because I have seen it before, but my quick search didn't come up with anything right away. Is there an easy way to tell if I have a roller block? Will the dealer know, if I give them the VIN?
                            Andrew

Comment

86+ 302 is roller block. some 85 is roller compatible. 88 is definitely roller.

Comment

Working...
                              X